GideonTech.com Forums

• April 25, 2017, 01:33:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BSOD during windows install wtf? help  (Read 17410 times)

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
BSOD during windows install wtf? help
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »

Ok so I have had a working xp pro for over a year on my system, for the past 3 weeks I start getting random restarts and the occasional bsod, then i got real bad so i went to reinstall xp just like i have done about 6 times before...well now i get the bsod DURING install wtf? never has this happened during an install. so i finally got my comp to finish the install, got my drivers installed thought i was alright ran programs then the same problem started again that i had before the reinstall. iv tried to rule out certain hardware parts by disconnecting to bare bones still probs, tired taking a stick of mem out (have 2) no results, tried a stick of my roomates corsair xms got the same prob. tried a diff cd rom (desperate), tried to reinstall on another harddrive just got bsod again same prob so ruled out problems with my raptor hd. i took out my cpu and put new thermal paste that worked temporarily. If you have any hardware questions feel free to ask... help please!

i use this comp for everything school, work. need help

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: BSOD during windows install wtf? help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:07 AM »

Your mobo may be dying.  Same thing happened to me.  I kind of gave in and reformatted my HD for a clean install and it still BSODs.  Then I noticed all capacitors in the mobo had already been leaking.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Glitch

• Senior Modder
  • I'm a sing the doom song now!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

It's not necessarily the board that's dying. I'm in the same situation per say in that recently my machine had random frequent BSODs. After a clean install and full format it still continued and after like 2 weeks later it just stopped???. The mysterious thing was I would get at least 3 blue screens per session all of the error codes different  :wtf:. I think I got over 20 BSODs in that 2 week period..... everything from usb bug code to ntfs.sys errors. Then it just stopped over a month and nothing :-?. No new changes in hardware or software, the only thing is I went back to the original drivers when I saw the new chipset/video/sound driver didn't fix the problem. So i really don't know...

My only advice is to try different ram or a different HDD. I've seen installs hang and give error codes due to bad ram

Chieftec Dragon (slighty modded)
E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Evga GTX 260 SC @ 650/1150 Mhz
4 Gb G. Skill DDR800 @ 4-4-4-12 2T
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

IT AIN"T OCed IF IT AIN"T A LITTLE UNSTABLE

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »

Personally the only time I have seen a BSOD while installing Windows was when a HDD was dying. My advice would be to back up as much data as possible just in case. If the HDD is dying, it may work all the way through sometimes and not others.

logicslayer

• Senior Modder
    • The OtR Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »

There's all kinds of reasons to get a BSOD during the Windows installation. I would check/test your PSU and motherboard.

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

memtest and hard drive fitness test.

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »

Maybe set your ram timings to a slower level, to me it sounds like motherboard problem though. Based on what you've done already the ram and hdd are ruled out. if it were a power supply issue, in my experience, you wouldn't get a bsod (unless it was at startup which is not your case). You could try swapping your IDE or SATA cables out with a different set. Check the board manufacturer for a flash update. Also make sure you used a few screws to secure your MB to the tray, if there are only plastic inserts perhaps there is static electricity building somewhere cause interference.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

I've had this problem a few times- almost every case was RAM that wasn't properly seated.  Twice turned out to be bad RAM.  Start with the easy- unplug all unnecessary stuff, opticals, HDD, extra cards, etc.  Reseat the RAM, use one stick and if it stil BSOD, use the other.  If one works, try the other by itself.  If they both work, then try both at the same time.  Try different slots also.

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:51 PM »

thanks for your suggestions....the raptor hd is fairly new and i have already tried to reinstall on my old 80 gig hd that was working fine before i got the raptor and still got blue. is there a chance a graphic card can cause this problem? The blue screen does seem to come with a heavier work load...

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »

graphics card overheating errors don't tend to cause BSOD, they tend to cause freezes, resets, or things not looking right on screen
still, if you have the option of trying a different graphics card, i suppose you never know until you've tried
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.