GideonTech.com Forums

• March 30, 2017, 07:28:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MiniMe - World's Smallest Watercooled mITX PC - COMPLETE 22/03/2010  (Read 26782 times)

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic

Intro

Hi to everyone at GideonTech! My first time here! I thought i might run this scratch build on here, see what response i get! My main home is overclock.net so the first few updates are not really new! This is my second scratch build. My first was called Bloo Box, an acrylic mid tower case:

You can find a worklog with big pictures and a video here: http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/510995-project-bloo-box-complete-24-6-a.html

Well I'm back again with another mod! I've caught the bug :wheee::wheee:

This time I am going small! My inspiration came from seeing someone on OCN make a tiny mITX case with a Zotac mITX MoBo. It looked so awesome I wanted one! So I researched hardware and found you could get really nice mITX socket 775 motherboards for not a huge amount of money, including a PCI-E x16 slot. With that in mind, I came onto the problem of cooling. To do any substantial cooling would make the case quite large. The low profile coolers normally do not give amazing temperatures, and making the case fit one of the giant HFS's would remove the point of the small case. It was then i saw an all-in-one liquid cooling system from SwifTech. And the idea clicked!

Build the world's smallest watercooled computer!

[SIZE="5"]Components[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Sponsors[/SIZE]

I am delighted to introduct my first sponsor, AquaTuning.co.uk! They will be sponsoring me with my watercooling equipment.

Their website can be found here

Ebuyer are also sponsoring me with a motherboard, processor and graphics card!

Their website can be found here: http://www.ebuyer.com

I would like to introduce my 3rd sponsor for this project, MNPCTech!

They will be sponsoring me with 1 of these:

http://www.mnpctech.com/Computer_Billet_Fan_Grills.html

and a set of these:

http://www.mnpctech.com/Aluminum_Computer_Case_Feet.html

Thanks very much to Bill :)

I would like to introduce AC Ryan! They will be sponsoring me with some materials like Aluminium sheet and CCFL's and such things. Thanks Guys!

WatercoolingUK will not be supplying me with watercooling equipment, they will be laser cutting metal and powdercoating for me! Thankyou to marcus there in particular!

Enermax will be sponsoring me with 2 fans and a keyboard! Thankyou!

Roccat will be sponsoring me with gaming equipment such as the Roccat Kone! Thanks!

[SIZE="5"]Case Plans[/SIZE]

The case will measure 20x20x20cm with everything inside, including radiator, fans etc. The case will be made out of a powdercoated steel frame with smoked acrylic filling the holes for the sides and top, and the front and back will be made out of powdercoated mesh. I am going for a blue and purple colour scheme inside (wiring, coolant, tubing etc). The metal will be cut on the CNC router at my school (it's tiny, about 30x30cm cutting area!). The plastic will be laser cut also at my school, and sponsor logos will be laser etched on during this process. All the cables will be sleeved in black and white sleeving.

[SIZE="5"]Final Photos[/SIZE]

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:04:58 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
Re: Project MiniMe - World's Smallest Watercooled mITX PC
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

Update #1 - 31/06/09

Did a sketchup of the case. This was my first time using sketchup. Quite a few of the components I got off the database of models but i made several. The whole thing is precisely to scale (to the millimeter) so i can take measurements etc off it.

Front

Back

Front

Side

Empty Case

WC'ing loop

Components

Hope this gives you a good idea of what it is going to look like!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:44:59 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »

Update #2

This is what it would look like with the rad inside. I could do it like that, or make the box 3cm taller and have the fan inside too. I'm a bit worried about getting my tubing in at those angle though. Hmm....

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:46:26 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

Update #3[/b]

Redesigned again. Managed to get the whole thing down to 20cm x 20cm x18cm - that is including radiator and, well, everything!

Getting the Apogee Drive will mean i can make the bottom compartment smaller and ALSO means i can have 2 2.5" drives! So potentially 1tb of storage at this point in time (maybe more if larger 2.5" drives are made). Anybody got any advice on those tight bends there? Does it matter how i have T joint being used (L joint in the main loop)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:46:59 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

Update #4

Ok so here is a price list!

(image is too big for forums)

I think what is going to differ this from other miniature watercooling rigs is the power. I have not seen any other mITX watercooled mini pc's with a Q9550 or even a dedicated graphics card. I was lucky to find the 4670, it is a perfect fit.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:48:40 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

Update #5 - 20/8/09

A box arrives! I wasn't even expecting it...

Ebuyer sponsorship arrives :D

This motherboard is ridiculously small... i couldn't believe it when i first saw it

PCI-E x16 slot

Wireless module for it. Plugs into a USB header

GPU test fit

Fits the board perfectly!

My friend

So glad i chose this card, the blue is perfect for my colour scheme.

I never thought i would get to hold one of these...

So yeah not much of an update. But progress! I can now confirm all the measurements for the motherboard. I didn't expect to have the mobo so soon because eBuyer were out of stock. Somehow they managed to get me one though!

I would like to thank eBuyer again for their generous contribution, and especially thank my contact there, Charlie. She has been brilliant!

They really are the best computer e-tailer in the UK!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:49:26 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »

Update #6 - 30/08/09

The final sketchup model is finished! I spent ages on this. It is EXACTLY how it will be, everything is perfectly to scale. By doing it like this i have actually solved loads of problems i would have come across later when i had got items laser cut etc.

Front

Right side

Top with 120mm rad and fillport

Without the outer shell and cubes

Back view without shell

Back

Left hand side with GPU. Will actually be nVidia but never mind...

Profile shot of the right hand side.

The loop! Yes i am now cooling the 9300 chipset. One of the problems i discovered by doing the accurate sketchup is that the apogee drive would hit the heatsink on the chipset. So duniek at OCN is making be a custom block that looks very similar to the one above (i.e. barb positioning is the same). Yes there is some VERY tight tubing to be done. But hey! I'm up for a challenge!

The back of the loop. 45 degree fittings will save this project! Most of the models in the sketchup are downloaded, however i made the apogee drive and several other parts. It is precisely to scale from the swiftech site. Very pleased with it!

Bottom compartment. The cd drive rests on an acrylic plate that is glued to the HDD bay. There is a 60mm fan at the back blowing across the hdds. This will be mounted to the base using a bracket, rather than mounted to the grill.

HDD Bay

Empty shell. The whole thign is held together with 10mm acrylic cubes. There will be purple LEDs mounted in them which will shine out of the corners displayed by the rounded corners of the aluminium frame.

Moneyshot

So what do you think guys? I managed to get the 250W psu in, which i am very pleased about. I need to order things like the PSU, switch, CD drive and hdd before i can start milling out the aluminium.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:50:39 PM by oliverw92 »

oliverw92

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

Update #7

So i have been talking to radodrill at OCN about fan controllers. He showed me what he did for his Rad GT. So i have designed my own fan controller. It will only be 2 channel, unlike his insane 8 channel one. His was done on a soldering board (one with loads of pre drilled holes). I'm lucky enough to have access to PCB printing facilities at school so i will be making the PCB myself :wheee:

PCB design (to scale). On the right of the big electrolytic capacitors you can see 3 pads. This is where the potentiometers will be attached. Middle-left you can see 2 pads where +12v and negative connects. At the top right of each section you can see a box with 2 pads in, this is where the fans connect.

Real-world drawing of it

The circuit design (this was NOT done by me! This was made by radodrill!)

My layout was done in PCB Wizard 3.50. Great little program!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:51:02 PM by oliverw92 »

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.  That's slick as hell.  You did a good job on your first case.  Keep it up, and keep us posted.
Today, the choice is mine.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

What I am curious about is the structural integrity. I don't see any structural frame carrying the load, just non-solid-diaphragms and some corner screw cubes. This may be too flimsy, especially to hold a heavy dynamic (fluid) load, and unless the mesh is really strong it will deflect too much to have anything resting on top of it.

Still a cool looking design, I hope it works out for you
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.