GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 02:17:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House networking - thoughts and experiences?  (Read 3110 times)

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
House networking - thoughts and experiences?
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »

Being a new homeowner, I've had stuff flying around my head as to what to do with it.  A big one is to wire the house with ethernet so I would have at least one ethernet port on every room in the house.  I do have WiFi but i'd rather have people or myself plug in than connect wirelessly.  So far, I have my main PC plugged via ethernet into the FIOS router, my wifey's lappy and the PS3 connected wirelessly.  My wife's good with WiFi since she doesn't really do extensive internetting, other than Facebook and a couple of linked Youtube videos.  But I'd rather have the PS3 on ethernet.  I've had it plugged in before but when we moved, the PS3 stayed with the big tv in the living room, a floor away from the router.  I currently don't have a DVR so my DTV boxes aren't on the network, yet.  I don't really plan on doing DVR, but some non-DVR boxes do (or will) support On-Demand and will need ethernet hookup.  So a readily available ethernet connection would be slightly good future-proofing.

Now, being a pre-existing house, It might deal with a lot of fish-hooking to run wires.  I had both FIOS and DirecTV come at the same time when they hooked us up.  The FIOS guy didn't want to use the existing coax cables to keep it isolated.  He eventually ran a new coax run outside the house, going in directly into one of the upstairs rooms and into the modem.  The DirectTV guys ran new coaxes themselves, considering that the existing coax cables were "the old types".  They pretty much used the existing cable "pathways" so it was not that hard to wire us up.  The issue will be me, running ethernet all over, and within walls.

So right now, I have my FIOS modem/router upstairs, my PS3 downstairs, and an unfinished basement to easily wire stuff.  Has anyone ever done something like this before?  Moving the FIOS modem down at the basement sounds like the best plan, since I could probably make the basement as the central box of stuff, and run cables upwards.  But the FIOS coax is run directly upstairs.  I do have a spare 4-port router I could use as a switch.  Should I just run one ethernet cable from upstairs down into the basement and then wire a switch there and go back up (sounds stupid aint it?)?  I could probably use the closet in the office to house the modem and run cables from there.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
Re: House networking - thoughts and experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »

I wired my whole house, took a good 6mos but well worth it. I put a 4x plate (2 cat5e, 1 rg6, 1 6pin rj-11) in the bedrooms, 4x plate (2 cat5e, 2 rg6) in the living room, 3x plate (2 cat5e, 1 6pin rj-11) in the kitchen and a couple spec purpose plates in the basement. Everything leads back to 2x 16 port 10/100 routers, a carefully planned coax distro network and a 110 punchdown for the phone. 500' cat5e, 250' rg6 quad and 100' 6 conductor phone took care of it.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »

Was it a weekend warrior type of job that's why it took that long?  I'll probably go ahead and include phone and coax cables while i'm at it.  Right now only one room had phone outlets and I do have a fax/copier/printer machine that needs a line.

I did find this link (http://www.swhowto.com/HomeNetWiring_Ch1.htm) and it gives me a nice idea on how I would probably do it.  Although it doesn't really give much info on the actual cable running.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

one tip (that may or may not be obvious) is to wire two rooms with the same jack if they share a wall.

room1<---wall--->room2

(FYI, plumbing is expensive, and this is why bathrooms and or kitchens tend to be close to eachother. shared input pipes.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:33:58 PM by urgannagru »

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

i wish we had basements!

This is gonna be fun!

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »

@x24
I really milked the project, i probaly could have done it all in a day or two.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

I spec'd cat5  to be run into my office when my place was built, but I use 802.11N everywhere else.  I have no problems with it.  My office has a simple 4 port switch and I don't really have space to have more than 4 machines running in there anyways.  Only drawback is 802.11N adapters are kinda pricey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.