GideonTech.com Forums

• August 24, 2019, 08:10:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HDTVs - Your current TV and your dream TV  (Read 5829 times)

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
HDTVs - Your current TV and your dream TV
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »

My sis wants to finally replace our TV which is over 10 years old (an old Sony projection type TV) with one that's of the HDTV LCD variety. It helped that the TV's built-in speakers died and I'm too lazy to hook it up to the receiver and put together our 5.1 speaker system. >_<

Anyway, rather than just have a thread for suggestions on what the latest TV technology is out there (I'd appreciate your input, of course), I thought of finding out what people currently have for a TV and if you had the resources (time/space/money!), which TV would you most like to get. ^_^

So let me begin -- my in-room TV is a 32" Viewsonic N3235 my *dream* TV (if I had the dosh) would be the Samsung 46" LED HDTV! *drool* I'd love to add a faux photo frame on this thing and mount it on my bedroom wall... I tried to convince my sis to go for the Samsung LED variety as the communal/family TV but she wouldn't budge until the price drops. BTW, her budget is 1,500USD for a 50" or larger telly. >_< I'm sure there are TVs out there that fit that bill, but I really am not sure which ones are the "good" ones.

Thanks in advance! 

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: HDTVs - Your current TV and your dream TV
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »

There are 50" TVs for that price, but I would go with a smaller one that is better since you get what you pay for when it comes to TVs.

My current TV is a 3 year old 27" Viewsonic 720p which I love (DVI and VGA, along with all the typical TV inputs). I have, for about a year now, wanted to buy a 42" or 46" (46" is the max I could fit in my apt) either Sony 120hz or a Samsung locally dimming LED. The LED sets are just so much more expensive, but the electrical bills will be alot less with LED (and with smaller TV sizes), and my electrical bill is high enough as it is.

PS: beware, not all LED sets dim locally, and it makes a world of difference.

Peppe316

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.CodeHeadz.net
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »

I currently have a Hitachi P50H401 1080i 50" plasma that I got nearly two years ago just as the LCDs where phasing the plasmas out so I got an awesome deal.  I personally really liked the plasmas over LCDs at the time because of money and the color depth they had. I'm ok with my plasma until I see how clear the higher end LCDs are...though plasma is no slouch.
If I had the money to blow I'd go with a nice LED tv, though I'm not sure. I don't want to look into that or I'll be far too tempted :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:31:47 PM by Peppe316 »
I kill threads

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

I just came across this sale on Samsung TVs at Amazon
http://dealspl.us/product/amazon-com-secret-discounts-on-samsung-hdtvs

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »

We have 3 HDTVs but they're all 720p.  If all you ever want to use it for is watching movies and TV, it's perfectly fine.  If you ever want to hook up a computer to the TV, 1080P is probably better.  One of our TVs is a 61" DLP and personally, I think it has a great picture.  The other two are LCD (40 and 26) and they're nice because we wall mounted them.  I've always read anything under 50" and you can't really tell 720P vs 1080P.  Above 50, spring for 1080P.  It might be moot though because I don't think I've really seen anything bigger than 32in that's not 1080P. 

If I were to get my dream TV, there's this huge 65" 120Hz Samsung TV that's LED and like 1 inch thick.  costs $5k I think.  That would be cool.

My mom picked up a 1080P 65" DLP for $999 18 months ago.  That think looks fantastic also.  If you have the space, you can get a bigger TV for less money by going with DLP.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »

Ive got a 50" panasonic 1080p plasma (th-50pz85u, last years model) and its beyond amazing. I had a 42" 720p panny that was defective and this replaced it, huge difference size wise. The only downside is SD cable is really lacking but HD is immaculate.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »

I have a 100" projection screen with a 720p Panasonic AX-200U projector.  It kicks ass.  I guess I would want a 1080p projector eventually, but this was one of the better 720p projectors when I got it and I'm rather satisfied.  I also have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" 720p plasma TV in my bedroom.  That TV kicks ass as well and I'd just replace it with a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma.  I still prefer the look of plasma over LCD TVs, the biggest downside is still electricity usage though.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »

Ra, I'm sorry, but you'll have to do some research.
You'll find HDTVs of the same brand and model, that have different brands of panels.

I bought mine a couple of months ago, it's a 32" JVC.
I have a very small bedroom, so this is more than enough. :)

Some friends that have an electronics repair shop told me that the best ones are the Sony, but they're the most expensive.
I also heard good things about Samsung.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

We have a 40" 720p Samsung (with the glowy blue light at the bottom) we got on sale for $1099 two labor days ago.  It's been great in our small liviring room viewing HD programming on DirecTV, bluray movies and games on the PS3 and the occasional anime shows hooked up via DVI from my PC.  I played counterstrike on it once just to see how it goes and to test a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and it was cool.  Our new living room is still quite enough for the 40 incher but we got a newer 22" inch 720p Samsung (the one with the hint-of-red body) for the bedroom.  We're planning to get another one, probably a 26 incher to replace the one in the bedroom.  The 22" will go to the kitchen/dining area.

I'm quite satisfied with what I have right now.  My dream TV would be probably one between 26" to 32" that will hang on the wall, hovering over dual monitors on my desk (which i have yet to get, I'm still on my clunky 17" CRT I've had for 7 years!).  I've seen setups like these around recently and would like to have me one now that I have my own home office where I have a nice big sofa bed right behind my task chair.

Although we do have an unfinished basement that's being planned on either becoming a pool/pingpong table room or a media room.  I'll probably go with a nice projector if it was going to be a media room.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:23:55 PM by I LOVE ED »
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »

My TV:  Soyo Topaz S 24" LCD wired to a PC with a HDTV tuner.

Dream TV:  A card with some extra inputs (KWorld makes one with component in, but only at 480i-- why can't I get a DVI-in?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 1.205 seconds with 19 queries.