GideonTech.com Forums

• August 25, 2019, 06:15:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MTB'ers!  (Read 4053 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
MTB'ers!
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »

Any of you guys hit the trails? XC, DH, FR?

What kind of bike are you guys using?

I've gotten into it these past few months as a mean to shed some chub. Been crushing my local trail when it's not raining with my Specialized HR. My shins are pretty nasty now with all the little scrapes here and there.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: MTB'ers!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

Are you going to let us know what you are using?  I've been wanting to bike more, but haven't bought one yet.  My recent fun activity has been rock climbing.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

BMX FTW!

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

DH is a bunch of fun, but I can't afford the kind of hardware it requires. Plus you have to find a way up the hill first, and I am lazy.

Styles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/lampskin
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

khs 604xc full suspension 4 bar linkage, pilot in the front and bar in the rear, sram x9 drivetrain.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:30:21 PM by Styles »

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »

I used to race for my university in SoCal where MTB was HUGE in the early 90s. (I'm carbon dating myself, I know)

I used to ride a Specialized M2 Comp and sponsored by shimano, mavic and redland's cyclery (famous bike shop) so it had a bunch of prototype stuff on it.  Now it's my commuter bike- all that prototype stuff is now 12+ years old :).  I do also have a schwinn homegrown carbon FS from the late 90s that's still decent today (full XT/XTR and gripshift, back when gripshift was cool) but I haven't ridden it in a long time.  My wife rides a Giant Rocket 88 full susp I bought for her a few years ago but we just ride it on the pavement these days, with the babies in the trailer, etc.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »

DH is a bunch of fun, but I can't afford the kind of hardware it requires. Plus you have to find a way up the hill first, and I am lazy.

Ehh, you don't need big hardware for DH.  You aren't racing... just having fun. 

Speaking of hardware, a couple weeks ago, I saw a Mongoose Otera FS for $500 with decent (though not race quality by any means) parts at Performance, while shopping for a new bike for my son.  They had the performance brand hard tail for $170, and the Fuji Nevada 5.0 for $190.  Very cheap for entry level rides.

here in norcal, we used to hit up Northstar in the summer- awesome downhills and single track, nice scenery, and chairlifts to the top of the mountain.  Big Bear in SoCal also did this.  Did my first DH there.  I totally sucked.  But my roommate won the Amateur Cup (if you know what that is) back in the day and I think picked up Dean sponsorship for that.  He had a BEAUTIFUL pro race level Ti bike. 

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »

DH without suspension is painful.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »

It's not so bad- when I was racing there was barely anyone with full susp.  We all rode hard tails.  Smoothness was key.  And it's still fun, though I don't think I'd ride anymore without front suspension- too hard on the wrists over time.  But rear suspension can pretty much be handled by lifting your butt off the saddle, using your legs, and a little technique.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

Let me rephrase again: single walled rims are bad. they won't survive the journey. i know via experience.

also, you must ride somewhere less bumpy than i, cause the second time i ended up with a cracked frame.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.