GideonTech.com Forums

• August 23, 2019, 08:03:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: buying my first DSLR  (Read 8897 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: buying my first DSLR
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

Thanks for the warning and I ordinarily agree 100%, but I am in a great location for photography.

These are the kinds of shops run by photographers that do lens checks, show sample shots, let you borrow a lens for a while to make sure you want it, return it if you're not happy, hang out for hours and discuss the virtues of a specific lens, use their darkroom (yes a few still do local darkroom developing rather than send off to a lab), etc.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »

My new toy just arrived :)

I decided to get the Sony a200 (Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the advice and did take it all in). Initial impressions are amazing for the price (I got mine for $370 shipped and tax free, but the price has since increased). It came with an 18-70mm lens. (18 is REALLY wide (for a kit lens), and awesome).

There is one thing that will drive me NUTS though. The top dial is behind the shutter button (instead of in front of it), which is the exact opposite of any other camera I have experienced. Other than that, I definitely like the menus, navigation, buttons, and whatnot better than the competition.

The camera isn't the fastest, but it is definitely fast enough for my uses.

I'm very impressed with the image stabilization. I took a handheld photo at 1/8 second and it was crisp. That's pretty much impossible with my shaky hands.

I still haven't decided what lenses to get yet. I also haven't had a chance to take the camera outside or expose it to a wide variety of lighting conditions. I still need to do more testing.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:09:50 PM by urgannagru »

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »

Congrats!  :thumbsup:

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to update it with my experience so far. Now I have had the camera for a year, and done lots of shooting.

If you are going with a Sony alpha camera, you really need to get an old "Beercan" style Konica-Minolta lens (used, since you can't find one new). It will be your best investment ever, and should cost far less than $200. I would buy that in tandem with one fast prime lens under 50mm (which are hard to find / expensive). The beercan should be able to take 95% of your photos, but as I learned this weekend you might need to take photos in small indoor spaces with no light. For that I bought a 50mm 1.7 prime, but I kind of wish I had gotten a smaller, faster one (I had to make due with the 18-70mm kit lens alot instead).

So far the camera body (an alpha 200) has been giving great quality shots, except when it comes to large expanses of either sky, grass, ocean, or (same colored) wall.

The weakpoint for all of the lenses I have bought so far is autofocus. If you're really serious about photography, I would recommend getting good at manual focus. Either that, or invest in a set of lenses based solely on their autofocus quality (not as much based on optical quality or aperture speed).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.