GideonTech.com Forums

• October 16, 2018, 05:00:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why has PCI-E wireless stagnated  (Read 13618 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Why has PCI-E wireless stagnated
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:16 AM »

I saw an article on another site today about a motherboard with seven x16 (physical) PCI-E slots.

And it occured to me:  How exactly do you intend to put wireless on that?

I did a brief Googling, and found only two PCI-E 802.11n cards at all-- one by D-Link, and one by HP

I could see getting the HP one just because it's the only possible card which might fit in the crampled top X1 slot of a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4, but it's $73 when many PCI 802.11n cards are $30 or less (I paid, I think, 15 a throw for the ones I got on Black Friday)  The D-link card wouldn't fit into that slot, and is like $90!

I recall quite a while ago looking when Abit brought out the first PCI-E 802.11g adaptor, and it's surprising so few more have followed.  How come?  Most new PCs have a spare x1 slot, as likely as they are to have a spare PCI slot.  Other peripherals-- even legacy port cards-- seem to be migrating to PCI-E.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
Re: Why has PCI-E wireless stagnated
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »

Abit is dead now, so that might be a warning of some kind.  I think we're in that zone where the motherboard manufacturers are doing one thing and it takes awhile for everyone else to catch up.  Kind of like when IDE was clearly going away and there were only a handful of SATA optical drives.  Once people start showing a buying preference, you'll see an increased supply of PCI-E everything.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

if you ask me? its because who runs a wireless desktop? wireless laptop, sure, but its not hard to run wires. wired is more reliable, and its not like desktops move around alot...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »

Agreed with urg, wireless desktops don't make all too much sense versus wired.

Also you can buy a PCI-E to expresscard or PCMCIA card adapter, since there are many of those types of adapters for laptops.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »

Well, it really depends on your floorplan.  Some houses, for example, have minimal attic or crawlspace room to run wires through, and running hundreds of metres of cable outside is not tidy nor particularly environmentally resistant.

I'd love to go wired, but it would probably cost in excess of $200 to wire just three rooms together (the networking gear is in a room with no PCs, strangely)-- and $200 would buy a fair amount of wireless kit.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »

baseboards

also, you get what you pay for. anything too far to get wires to is probably too far to get a good wireless signal too (at least in my experience)

i hope you're getting laid for $200, because thats about 2,000' (yes, two THOUSAND) feet of cable at the cost i am aware of

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »

i hope you're getting laid for $200, because thats about 2,000' (yes, two THOUSAND) feet of cable at the cost i am aware of

Well, the cost is for hiring someone with appropriate tools to do the job without leaving holes the size of soup cans in the walls.

The problem isn't necessarily even baseboards-- it's the fact there is no good route between the desired locations.  The floor plan is somewhat donut-shaped, on tile over concrete (so you can't go down), with a vaulted ceiling over half and a second floor over the other half (so you can't go up) and the points to connect are almost diametrically opposed.  And I want it to not look like a DIY job.

Idiots in 1988 who designed the house didn't realise people would want Ethernet 20 years later.  I bet the house also won't have a good space for our Ronco Pocket Replicators in 2029 either!

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:21 AM »

well to each their own, but i said baseboards and i meant it.

up/down stairs via the stairs
white cord along the baseboards of a white wall won't be noticed, especially with white fasteners.

if you really don't want to see cords then there are already holes and conduits in the walls for electricity, plumbing, whatever else you may have

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CT-CAT5E-1000-6U&cpc=SCH

That's what I bought.  I have a 3 story townhouse and I have the 3 bedrooms wired along with the basement.  I probably still have 700ft of cable left too.  I wired two rooms via the attic, one room running around the baseboard, and one running outside (runs below the deck then along the downspout, I have to point it out for anyone to notice).  In the basement I just did a 5 port switch (can be had for about $10 these days) and all of my devices were hooked up.

As a side note: I still do have Wireless G access in my house, but only for visitors or when I'm sitting out the couch downstairs with my laptop.  The reliability and the speed of intra-network transfers was well worth the time wiring the house.  That is the biggest cost, not wire.  Also, monoprice may have a better price on wire, but Geeks had a better price back when I did it.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

Just to add my experience, my roommate and fellow psuedo-ccna cert got a 1000' of Cat5e, a bag of RJ-45's and a the tools req'd several years ago, and he's since wired 2 lines to each 4 bedrooms, living room, an entire dorm floor (summer job), and our small lan parties. He still has like 100' left too, all for a little over a hundo too. Wiring yourself isn't too bad honestly... also on top of that, network transfers are about 20-30% faster on wired too. On wired I can download about 1.2MBps, while on wireless, downloading from the same saturated source I only get to see as much as 750-850kBps, similar behavior (wired to wireless speed ratio) is seen with xfers to our local server.

In conclusion, I would never even think of having wireless for a desktop. The only reason I could think of using wireless for a desktop would be if it's being used ad-hoc for internet access from some other wireless device.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.