GideonTech.com Forums

• August 11, 2020, 01:14:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor problems  (Read 4568 times)

Anarchy Angel

• Senior Modder
Monitor problems
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »

Hey everyone! Wow it's been a long time since I posted here. Anyways I got a problem with my monitor that I just can't seem to find an answer to online. So basically when I boot the computer up the monitor displays everything just fine. After windows loads, before the login screen though, the monitor just goes blank and says no signal. I know for sure it is not the monitor, I hooked it up to my laptop and it works fine. And I also know it is not the video card, as my TV is hooked up to it right now and works just fine. The monitor is an Acer x223w and my video card is an ATI 4870. I thought it might be my drivers so I uninstalled them, and the monitor worked! Yay I thought... Then I reinstalled the latest drivers for my card and I am back to the same problem. I dunno I am kind of at a loss on this one. I can't even get it to clone (that is how I got it to work on my laptop) on this computer. Also using Windows Vista 64bit. So, yup if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them!
StompFest : noun : A gathering of gamers that tread and/or trample heavily/violently on each other.
Stompfest!

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
Re: Monitor problems
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »

Refresh rate is out of range.  Acer monitors are weird about that.  Instead of telling you that it's out of range, they just go blank.  What's happening is Windows runs in a kind of safe mode during boot up, including safe mode resolutions and refresh rates.  As soon as the log in screen pops up, everything gets shifted into whatever your working settings are, which apparently your monitor doesn't handle.  When you uninstalled the drivers, it defaulted back to the base rate and everything was fine until you reinstalled them and the rate moved again. 

See if you can adjust the rate (59 or 60Hz) with the monitor cloned.  If not, hunt up a CRT (this is why I still keep one around) plug it in and set the monitor to 1680 x 1050 and 60Hz.  Then you should be able to plug the LCD back in and it will work.

Anarchy Angel

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »

Well unfortunately that didn't work. I managed to get the monitor to work, but after I shut the computer down and moved everything back to my desk it did that same thing when I started it up. Basically just hooked up my lcd tv to the computer, set the refresh rate to 1280x720 59Hz(anything higher and the refresh rate goes down to like 20Hz), then plugged the monitor in. For some reason it does not like restarting. :x This is so annoying... Never had this much trouble with a monitor before.
StompFest : noun : A gathering of gamers that tread and/or trample heavily/violently on each other.
Stompfest!

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »

I'm guessing after it displays the Windows boot screen, it will switch to the other screen.  I noticed that when I was playing around with dual outputs.  It booted to the TV but after that, the windows login when back to the monitor.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »

have you just tried booting up to safe mode?  With XP, there's also a "VGA" mode, there should be one with Vista also.  that should allow you to use your monitor and change the resolution.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »

obviously they still haven't fixed their sh!t... link to my old topic

i had a ticket with ati's customer service and they said its a known problem ati's engineers are aware of and are working on. I went back to my 21 inch CRT. The problem is with ATI card and LCD monitors using the DVI port. one way i solved it was by unplugging the monitor let it boot to the login screen, then plug in the monitor. everything works fine... just a ghetto b.s. work-around for a problem that never should have existed to begin with. I'm not and NVIDIA fanboy, but i've worked with alot of ATI and NVIDIA cards and i will only use NVIDIA from here on out. You can screw with the refresh, res, bios (updates and settings), and drivers (factory and omega) all you want, but unfortunatly nothing helps. The card eithers worksfor your setup, or it doesn't.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

Anarchy Angel

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »

have you just tried booting up to safe mode?  With XP, there's also a "VGA" mode, there should be one with Vista also.  that should allow you to use your monitor and change the resolution.

Yup, monitor works fine in safe mode.

obviously they still haven't fixed their sh!t... link to my old topic

i had a ticket with ati's customer service and they said its a known problem ati's engineers are aware of and are working on. I went back to my 21 inch CRT. The problem is with ATI card and LCD monitors using the DVI port. one way i solved it was by unplugging the monitor let it boot to the login screen, then plug in the monitor. everything works fine... just a ghetto b.s. work-around for a problem that never should have existed to begin with. I'm not and NVIDIA fanboy, but i've worked with alot of ATI and NVIDIA cards and i will only use NVIDIA from here on out. You can screw with the refresh, res, bios (updates and settings), and drivers (factory and omega) all you want, but unfortunatly nothing helps. The card eithers worksfor your setup, or it doesn't.

I tried the letting it boot to the login screen and then plugging the monitor in. No go on that.  :( I think what I am going to do is just buy a 12 ft hdmi/dvi cable to go from my tv to my desk. Hook it up every time I restart the computer and change the refresh rate and then plug the monitor in. Ghetto as hell, but it will work. Good thing I don't really restart my computer very often. Thanks for the replies guys.
Stompfest!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 34 queries.