GideonTech.com Forums

• October 19, 2017, 03:05:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Deskputer  (Read 16772 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: Project Deskputer
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »

Ugh, sorry I forgot to warn you about height... it's just that usually the defining feature for fit on my PC is the VGA cooler (AC Accelero S2), so I don't even think about the CPU cooler much.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »

Well it's Saturday and I've been doing homework all day because grad school blows, so I gave a call to my friend who said she would be doing the same and would likewise want a break.  Long story short, she was at a party.  That lead to me calling others and finding out everyone else already had plans.  So...

I decided to put my slight bit of free time to use and work on the deskputer.  Time to bust out the tools:

And the results are as follows:

I'll be putting a bar across the back to screw cards in to, but I wanted it to be mostly open so that air could blow in.  As I said earlier in the thread my only airflow will be from 2 120mm fans at the rear of the desk (1 intake / 1 exhaust) and I'm really starting to think that it was a good idea.  Soon we will know for sure though.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »

Took a break after watching my first class. :)

Laying the desk down to draw some nice lines.

Lines drawn for where to cut.  Used a CD to get an approximate circle for a 120mm fan (it's really close).

Holes cut.

Exhaust fan installed.

Both fans installed.

From the inside of the drawer.

Time to watch my second class.
~ Wierd Al

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »

I like the mod a lot. You have inspired fresh ideas for my own massive desk and space savings, yet staying aesthetically pleasing.

One thought about your intake / exhaust. I might suggest putting in a air dam between the fans (on the backside of the desk). To help prevent the recirculation of hot air. If i were doing such a divide, I'd probably go all out and use cardboard and duct tape, and then make sure it's wedged against the wall.

Hope that helps you some.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »

Yea, I was definitely considering something to try isolating the two fans some more.  As well I'd like to keep the wires running out the back away from the fans as much as possible.  I haven't decided what I'm using exactly yet, but I am hoping to do something ever so slightly classier than cardboard and duct tape even though it'd work.
~ Wierd Al

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »

You could look into getting a wide PVC pipe, cut it in half, and make a corner end, and basically make vent tubes. Port one left, and the other right. You could even paint it or decorate it somehow. then just glue it down, and viola. or port one Down and the other up, getting the coldest air from the bottom, and the hot air out the top.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »

I installed motherboard risers and blew sawdust into my eyes.  Note: wearing safety googles is a smart thing to do at ALL times.

I have a good idea of how to mount the hard drive now too.  Searching thru my closet I had an old Antec case and an old mATX HP computer case.  The Antec case had that fancy slide in/out with locking cage thing and the HP one had a single drive cage thing that just slid right in to the front of the case.  Well, I don't forsee myself ever using the HP case again so I'm just going to dremel out the part it slides in to and affix that in my drawer.  Hard drive mounting solved!  Just need a couple wood screws and some washers that should not be too hard to find.
~ Wierd Al

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »

Did a little more.

Here is the crappy HP case that I'm going to be stealing part of the front from.

My long piece of aluminum needs cut too.  Part of it will be to screw cards in to, part of it will hold the PSU in place, and the rest will sit in my closet.

Here's where the thing I stole from the HP case is going, can't screw it in yet cause I need to space it and don't have washers yet.

And here's the small aluminum piece holding the PSU in place.  Since it's tight fitting in the wood itself this small piece actually has it held in place rather well.
~ Wierd Al

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »

And I'm kind of done!

Crossbar installed.

With the video card in there too.

Put masking tape on the drill bit so I wouldn't drill through the front of the drawer.

It'd be a pain to somehow put on 4 washers while trying to screw in the hard drive mount.  That is unless you tape them in place first.

The plate for mounting the hard drive is in place.

The hard drive is now on it's mounting plate.

All the cords needed to hook up the PC.

All pieces in there rightful places and screwed in.

I have two of the same monitor now. :)

For those that were worried about heat I did an hour long burn-in with Prime95 64-bit edition.  The result was definitely a lot hotter than idle, but not completely unreasonable.

@ Idle:
CPU 37C
Mobo 36C

@ Full Load:
CPU 57C
Mobo 39C

Taking load off and the PC cooled back down to idle temps in about 10min
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:33:13 PM by blafrisch »
~ Wierd Al

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »

Just for S&G I would be interested to see if flipping the cpu fan over (pulling air through the HSF as opposed to blowing onto it) improves the temps any.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.