GideonTech.com Forums

• December 15, 2017, 11:02:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powdercoating: Project Beta  (Read 6528 times)

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
Powdercoating: Project Beta
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »

Recently I decided to start a new project.  It's been awhile since I did any serious modding, and in the mean time I'd made a few friends down at the local powdercoat shop.  We'd been kicking around the idea of powdercoating a PC for awhile now, but we were never sure how good of a job we could do over an existing powder coat without resorting to costly and time consuming sandblasting.  Anyway, I lease a small office to do my computer work out of.  So I can browse the internet and do troubleshooting, I have an old Sony case that I'd transplanted the guts out of my old plexi project into.  Pretty standard black textured powdercoating on it, so in the interest of science it became a test project.

All they did was do a light sanding to knock down the texture, and then put red powdercoat over the existing black. 

While it isn't perfect, it is very reflective and very durable.  There is some slight orange peel and a few spots where there are bumps.  Considering I paid in beer and told them not to worry about doing a perfect job, I'd say it turned out very well.  Eagle eyed viewers will also notice some history and clues to my upcoming project in the background.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Powdercoating: Project Beta
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:38:26 AM »

Last I had heard, sandblasting was neither time consuming nor expensive? At least it wasn't last time I did it on the school's equipment. Heck, there's build it yourself instructions on the internet for making a sandblasting chamber...

Still, I like that red. It looks good!

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »

Sandblasting to take paint or rust off a small item isn't particularly time consuming.  An entire case worth of powdercoat on the other hand...  We tried using the standard sandblasting cabinet on the first case.  Using standard abrasive materials would have taken literally hours.  Using the high dollar/high power abrasives sped things up, but it still took awhile and we would have burned through a lot of abrasive by the time we were done. Also it turns out abrasives that are good at eating up powdercoating were also good at eating mild steel.  Case panels aren't exactly made of 4142 chromoly and we were in danger of ruining the panels themselves.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »

Looks great except for the P4 sticker.  P4 makes me :(
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »

True, I hadn't thought of that about the case's steel thickness (I usually opt for the thickest I can get, I tend to forget they still sell the kind you can dent by breathing on it). You can get larger spray nozzles for sandblasting larger areas, and more abrasive grit, but you're right about the metal's strength.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »

Looks great except for the P4 sticker.  P4 makes me :(

Well, it's a P4 2.2GHz inside.  Don't need more than that to check facebook and e-mail.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »

What can you do to improve cooling on one of those cases?

I bought one with a Pentium-D 920 in it ($20 at the thrift shop), but it seems to run awful hot even with a Zalman 9700 on top.  And pretty loud.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »

No idea.  The guts of that computer aren't original, but the CPU doesn't seem to run hot.

Peppe316

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.CodeHeadz.net
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »

Das is purty
I kill threads
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 19 queries.