GideonTech.com Forums

• May 27, 2017, 04:20:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back yard Mod: Shed  (Read 8583 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Back yard Mod: Shed
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

Well, the family house really needs a shed to store all our bikes, and outside toys in.  Well, i made an 8ft x 12ft shed. Spent a total of $120 so far on wood. I have 4 posts, a raised plywood floor. So, now I'm trying to decide on the cheapest way to make it water proof from the top and sides. I have it covered in plastic like a tent right now. So what i was thinking of doing was a normal Triangle type roof, but instead of using joists and plywood, I was going to make the skeleton out of 2x4's and use plastic and bamboo to give it water proofness and enough strength to keep water from pooling and hopefully from braches falling into it. I could do the same thing for the sides, cause I'm getting free bamboo (cutting down and doing it all myself).

So, if anyone else has any bright / free ideas (or almost free), please let me know, I'm open.

Also, i'm suffering from "nail in foot" disease ^_^. Stupid board with nails sticking off of it went right into my foot. But it was kinda nice, i got 2 days off work and I got to sit around the house and play games for once, got to catch up on some Gears of War. Much time was spent playing basketball on the knees with the boys.

But again, any ideas, let me know.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

bliq

• Elite Modder
Re: Back yard Mod: Shed
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »

can you use thompson water seal on the wood to keep it waterproof?

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

I've not seen many sheds that are built out of much more than all wood with a shingle roof.  Use treated wood and exterior paint on it and you should be fine.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »

Yah, I was thinking those shingles too. I mean, you can go ahead and build yourself a roof out of bamboo, cut in the middle and then stack 'em -- summat like this sort of roof: http://www.mission-san-miguel.com/Roof-Tile-CU.jpg but with Bamboo :D

And then waterproof the sides with those deck paints? LOL Can you tell I'm not a contractor? Does it have to be up to code? (whatever that means) :D

Maybe you also need mothballs or cedar wood inside? To prevent critters from eating up your stored items?

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »

is the bamboo your getting the large or thin type? if it has the 3+ in diamater then you can make a nice strong roof with it like Ra Image. you will still want to treat it to protect it from rot.
Now live in the Twin cities.

Ronin

• Elite Modder
  • GURNING ALL WAY HOME.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »

Side note for shed mods!

Outdoor lights that charge during the day, lightup at night, put an on/off switch and put the solarpanel on the top and the lights in the shed!
Awsome free lighting!
Iv3 b33n H4x0r5.

MY MEGAHURTZ HAEV BEEN STOELED!!!!!111
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.