GideonTech.com Forums

• September 20, 2019, 01:56:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: droid rant  (Read 3611 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
droid rant
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:03 AM »

Well, with all the excitement about the new Motorola+Verizon Droid cellphone, I thought I would go out and buy one.
I am not happy, so I thought I would share with my favorite tech forum

Be forewarned: The sound quality (of the phone call) is bad, to put it politely. I'm not alone with this issue, Motorola and Verizon have acknowledged it, and a patch might be coming in mid-December

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/60980;jsessionid=870AA1D991981E96F7866BE715E0B7E5.node0

and

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/motorola-droid-and-htc-droid-eris-ota-updates-coming-december-11th/ (last item on the last page, about the echo)

I am most likely returning it for a refund. If I were you, I would wait a while until they have patched bugs before buying this beautiful tech.

PS: The keyboard and solid build quality are great, that's what made me want to buy one.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: droid rant
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

To be fair, in the commercials they didn't say that the Droid made phone calls.  They just said what it does and the iPhone doesn't do.  :P
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »

They better hope that update fixes this problem. It's always phone first in my book - no matter how pretty it is.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »

That's strange - the reviews I read said that voice quality was excellent on the Droid, and that "telephony" was one of the areas where it soundly beat the iPhone.

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:11:55 AM »

I got one. Voice quality is not only fine; its excellent. Odd...

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »

Well the echoing and crackling has stopped for me, but the voice quality still isn't as good as I was used to under AT&T with my old Sony Ericsson candybar phone. Everyone on the other end says they can hear me clearly though.

One thing I found is that you don't want to be on a call with the wifi on. At least in my area when you have wifi turned on it takes you off of 3G which then lowers you to 2 bars or less of voice reception.

I like the phone enough that I have decided to keep it though.

PS: This is my first "smartphone." I don't keep bluetooth, wifi, or IM turned on unless I am using them and I don't have the phone check my email, so I have gotten 3+ days on the battery so far because of it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:40:36 AM by urgannagru »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.