GideonTech.com Forums

• May 27, 2017, 10:40:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Company Of Heroes OF issues  (Read 4996 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Company Of Heroes OF issues
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »

So, here is the problem. My friend and I play Company of Heroes over the LAN quite a bit, as well as on Relic Online. Generally it runs fine but sometimes we run into issues.

The current setup consists of our two computers hooked up on my LAN, with the rest of the players connected via the internet. We strictly use Relic Online when we play, but sometimes we will have 5 or 6 people in a row unable to connect to either my computer or my friends. Other times we will have a 4v4 or 3v3 all human game going and a player or two will drop out while loading.

Some of the people drop because THEY are on crappy connections, but I am starting to think that my network might be at fault too.

I have read that there are some ports that can be forwarded through my router to help solving those issues, but last time I checked I can't forward the ports to two machines at a time. Or can I?

bliq

• Elite Modder
Re: Company Of Heroes OF issues
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »

I have read that there are some ports that can be forwarded through my router to help solving those issues, but last time I checked I can't forward the ports to two machines at a time. Or can I?

Technically you can- it's standard load balancing.  you can do it with in DNS or you can do it with load balancing software or hardware.  However, it's more complicated than that.

You'd need to do some logging on the router and possibly the server to see if your friends are actually getting to you.  I'd start there before trying to do load balancing.  It may not be what you want.  And it's fairly esoteric stuff for consumers and consumer grade hardware.

My guess is still connection problems relating to your friends getting to you.  Or faulty software- do you have all patches?  did you try a reinstall?  Is your OS healthy?

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: Company Of Heroes OF issues
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

Yeah, it is all patched up, and everything is in working order.

The problem is that Company Of Heroes is a P2P game when it comes down to the networking level, so every player has to connect to every other player.

So when only one of us is playing the game over the internet it is fine, and neither of us get "xxxx Player failed to connect"

But if both of us are playing in different COH online matches, or the same match some online players can't connect to my machine or my friends machine, or both.

I'm starting to think that it might just be a issue with COH not knowing what to do when one public IP address has two sessions running. Games like CS:S and TF2 work just fine mainly because I think that Valve put a bit more thought into online play (I.E. people have more than one gamer in the house) than Relic/THQ has.

I'm going to try forwarding the ports to both machines, but I am really starting to think that it is a issue with the program and not my network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.