GideonTech.com Forums

• January 23, 2020, 01:12:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Semi-cheap computer  (Read 2725 times)

petro62

• Elite Modder
New Semi-cheap computer
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »

I hope people don't find these type threads annoying, but so far I have never been disappointed when asking questions here.

My current main PC has last me quite a long time, but it is getting outdated for some of these newer games.  I am looking to build a new system that can last me awhile offering upgrade opportunities and yet remaining fairly low budgeted.  I only have to worry about the tower and nothing like monitors or keyboards. I don't really have any particular specs, but I would like to play some of the new games that will be out one of which will be the new C&C Red Alert.  It may not be the most demanding game, but there will be others out there as well.  Maybe games like Battlefield 2 and others.

I don't really have a preference on CPU's anymore so there  really isn't a debate for me as far as AMD or INTEL goes. I just want what will get me the best bang for my buck.  As far as video cards go I am not sure if it is even possible, but would it be best to buy a SLI motherboard and only start out with one video card?  My current machine has a ATI 9500 if I remember correctly.  I already have a soundcard(although most MB's come with fairly nice on board ones now).   So if you all could just list some suggestions that would be great.  I don't want anything fancy on this as far as some fancy high tech case and lighted fans.  I think I just want to go dark, quiet and stable on this thing.  Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions you may have.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: New Semi-cheap computer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

Quick recommendations:
- An low-end Intel 8xxx series CPU
- An Intel mobo that support Crossfire
- An AMD 4850 or 4870 series video card, decide based on budget
- 4GB RAM

That should provide very good bang for the buck.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

delchi

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »

The newest system builder marathon from tomshardware is a good place to start...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphics-overclocking,2082.html

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »

as for the sli or not to sli question, it used to be a no brainer to go with the single best card you could buy.  Nowadays though, with the midrange cards being so powerful, it's not as clear cut because the last generation top of the line cards are  under so much pressure.  If you were to splurge for an 8800GTX a year ago, you could add a second now for just $150 or so.  dual 8800GTXs probably give similar or better performance than a single GTX280.

The main downside is the power requirements- you'd probably need at least 750W to push those two cards while you could get away with maybe 600W to push a single GTX280 or 4870X2. 

(just checked Tom's- closest was 8800GT SLI (16.1) vs GTX280 (16.3) on crysis 4xAA 8xAF, 1900x1200, which is a tough benchmark)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.