GideonTech.com Forums

• August 17, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tomato Firmware  (Read 6335 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Tomato Firmware
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »

Maybe my google skills are failing me, but is there a way to have the Tomato Firmware act as a DNS server?

The reason I ask, is I am desperately trying to phase out any unneeded electrical devices (or at least replace them with less consuming devices) and well, my big bulky overpowered (well, in relation to what it does :lol: ) server is first. I have already moved DHCP services to the main router (running tomato) but I want to move what few DNS mappings I have over as well.

The setup I have running now consists of my main router handling both dynamic and static DHCP requests. I set the host names for the static DHCP mappings to be their full form (eg caeser.craig.lan). The routers one and only DNS entry points to my main server, and the servers DNS entries first points to itself, then OpenDNS, and then my WOW DNS servers. My main servers DNS server then contains records for both the Static DHCP clients, and the few devices that have static IP addresses (Main Router, secondary wireless ap, catalyst switch, the server itself.)

Now that I type a bit more, I do have a second question, will setting full hostnames (ie. caeser.craig.lan) in Static DHCP mappings allow me to continue using hostnames like I do now with a DNS server? If so, I could go and change everything to acquire DHCP addresses, and then just set static DHCP entries on my router for all of my devices, and then shut down the DNS server on my main server.

If this is too confusing I could try to explain it differently.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: Tomato Firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »

Well, this AM I took the plunge and began screwing around.

I disabled DNS on my main server, and passed over command to the router. Works Fine!
Gave my main server a static DHCP mapping, and changed the server over to DHCP as opposed to Static IP. Works Fine!

I had an issue when it came to pinging computers via their hostnames. Is it "kosher" to give a device a static DHCP mapping (for the purposes of using a host name) even though the device has a static ip set?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.