GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 09:40:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell LCD Backlight  (Read 4322 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Dell LCD Backlight
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »

So, I have a dell 17" LCD that i got for free b/c the backlights are shot (burned out). I was wondering if it was fairly simple to convert it from CCFL to a LED backlight? Putting in a string of LED's on the top and bottom (where the ccfls were). Or if i should just buy some new ccfls. I'm going for the most cost  effective method, this monitor is definately not needed anywhere, but i would like the challenge of getting it to work. I currently have it in pieces, i will say the defusion glass is very neat.

So, other than getting LED's and wiring them up properly, what other problems might i run into? Or any ideas in general.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Dell LCD Backlight
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »

The problem isn't electrical (to my knowledge), the problem is color balance. That is why it took them years to make LED backlighting. The LED backlighting also has to be distributed evenly, but that can be hard since they are point sources of light. If neither of those bother you, then have at it. Otherwise I would recommend getting a CCFL replacement.

It does sound like a fun challenge to build your own
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:09:56 PM by urgannagru »

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Re: Dell LCD Backlight
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

I wasn't going to use this monitor for anything other than maybe a webserver monitor, so it's not going to matter as long as i can see something through it. I mostly thought it pretty fun.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.