GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:50:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux  (Read 28488 times)

endscape

• Senior Modder
Re: [Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:25 AM »

Someone on another forum asked how much this bugger weighs, so I piled all the parts that will be in the final build and weighed it.  At the moment it clocks in at 24.5 pounds.

On Monday I'm ordering a whole whack of stuff to finish off the project:
A Liang DDC Pump with built in reservoir
Two Vandal resistant white ringed switches
Three white Coolermaster LED fans
Four 120MM black wire fan grills
Four straight G1/4 compression fittings
Two 90 degree G1/4 compression fittings

And two sheets of copper, two sheets of brass, and two sheets of aluminum  ;)
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:05:02 PM »

Minor update:

Rebuilt the hard drive rack.  This one will isolate the vibrations coming off the hard drive better, and holds 4 drives vs the old 3 drive rack.  Metal still needs a little cleanup.  The discoloration you see is just from me running a wire wheel over it to remove some imperfections.

I have a design decision to make.  I figured out where I can fit a laptop sized optical drive without compromising any of the other design elements.  It fits like a freaking glove I'm impressed.  I'm just debating whether I want to spend the $80 or whatever a slot loading DVD-RW would cost me.

Thoughts?
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »

At this point I'd say just go external.  If you rarely use it anyway then why ruin the build's beauty?
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:57 PM »

At this point I'd say just go external.  If you rarely use it anyway then why ruin the build's beauty?

It would be a slot below the motherboard backpanel.  I dont think it would ruin the build.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:51:17 AM »

Does it have to be a slot load drive, or would a conventional laptop drive work?

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »

It would be a slot below the motherboard backpanel.  I dont think it would ruin the build.

But do you really want to be giving your PC the reacharound to put in a CD?  Seems like a pain to me.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

But do you really want to be giving your PC the reacharound to put in a CD?  Seems like a pain to me.
But do you really want to keep an external drive lying around connected to it all the time to put in a CD? Seems like a pain to me.

It's easier to move / carry around / LAN if you don't have to carry around an external drive.

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »

Does it have to be a slot load drive, or would a conventional laptop drive work?

Could do either.  Tray loading would take some more work, but both are doable.  If I'm going to spend the money I might as well go slot loading since it would make it a lot cleaner.  If I found the right deal on a tray loader I would go with that.

For the occasional Windows install or burned DVD it wouldn't be bad.  I rarely use my optical drive, it would just make the whole build a lot more complete.

But do you really want to keep an external drive lying around connected to it all the time to put in a CD? Seems like a pain to me.

It's easier to move / carry around / LAN if you don't have to carry around an external drive.

Exactly!

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 03:50:51 AM »

Very minor update.  I've been battling the blocks on the hard drive side of things for three iterations now.  I dont want to waste anymore half inch acrylic, so I have a new plan!  Four corner pieces glued to the side panel.  I'll clamp it into the case tomorrow and drill and tap the holes exactly where I want them.  I will win!

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:02:53 AM »

Another minor update.

I got the sidepanel screwed on.  The case is 100% structurally finished minus the pump situation.  Next up is lighting and electronics.  After that comes edge finishing, then paint and any exterior modifications that I may or may not have planned...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.