GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:49:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux  (Read 28487 times)

endscape

• Senior Modder
[Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »

So I started building Anima Mundi, a mATX cube built almost entirely out of acrylic over a year ago (the old project log is here, pictures are down).  Life got in the way, as did a all my acrylic breaking during the painting process.

Well I found a pile of acrylic that I had cut for my second attempt and decided to give it another go!  This all took me about 3 hours start to finish, so I'm hoping to wrap the entire project up inside two weeks.  Please forgive the pictures, they came off my HTC Mogul.

New work bench I picked up from my neighbor for...NOTHING.  Plus a whole pile of random acrylic pieces.

Spare watercooling gear that's been kicking around.  Some of it will be used in Anima Mundi.

First cut completed.  Drill press with a mill table and a bit from a Dremel.  It's not the most...accurate...solution ever, but it does a damn good job considering the whole setup cost me less than $100.

Radiators mounted.  Because this will come up, a 2x120MM radiator wont fit, but 2 separate 120mm Black Ice pros fit just fine.

From the back!  Not a whole lot of extra space.

Cut the PSU mount out.  Combination of a circle cutter that will be pictured later and the earlier mentioned drill press + mill table + dremel bit combo.

PSU mounted just to make sure everything fits.  One screw hole is off, so I'm going to have to enlarge it slightly to make everything mesh.

The PSU is a bit on the heavy side, so I'm thinking it needs a support shelf or something, I'll work on that tomorrow.  That's an old Antec True Blue 480 that will probably find a new home in Anima Mundi.  If that's the case, each and every wire will be a custom run, so no extraneous wires.

Yeah for circle cutters!  Adding a 120MM exhaust fan to the rear panel.

The completed back panel.  I still need to countersink some screw holes and clean up the acrylic edges.  There is a slim chance that I'll need to toss a couple more holes in there for the motherboard tray, but we'll get to that later.

And that's all I got done for the night.  Not bad for only a few hours haha.

The results of the circle cutter.  Will only need a bit of polishing, nothing major.

Straight off the drill press + mill table + dremel bit combo.  Needs a little filing and sanding, maybe some flame polishing, but I haven't decided on that.

This is off the good side of the table saw, and will need the most work.  Lots of filing to be done!

From the motherboad side of things.

Possible pump location.  Assuming I add a support shelf for the PSU, I would just slap the pump on the bottom and call it a day.

To do for tomorrow:
- Pick up some more 1/4 inch acrylic
- Design and build the PSU support/ pump mount
- Come up with some subtle lighting ideas
- Design and build the HD mount (hoping to get three drives in there, but who knows)
- Build the motherboard tray (I might need 1/2 inch acrylic, which would put a hink in things)

If I get all that done I will consider the day a success.
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: [Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »

Nice!  :thumbsup:

Question though: No internal CD-ROM drives?
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »

Nice!  :thumbsup:

Question though: No internal CD-ROM drives?

Not at the moment.  I have some slimline laptop style drives that I could wedge in there if I wanted to, but I honestly never use my optical drive.  Plus I have absolutely no freaking clue where I would put it.  Once I get the hard drives in there there wont be much space left over.
Merlinicorpus: "Ok, before we go any further, let me enlighten you on something. Z is not an S. Accordingly, you should not use Z in place of an S. Words like "thanks" are not something that should be abriviated. It's just as easy to type KS instead of X. When using exclamation points, either use one or three. If you are using so many that you can't keep the shift down and start adding 1s, you have probably added a few dozen too many."

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »

Double nice :thumbsup:

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »

These guys have a decent price if you are ever interested:
http://store.mp3car.com/category_s/1.htm
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »

whee project log

i havent used an optical drive in my computer in a long time either :)

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:40:31 AM »

Well, didn't get nearly what I wanted to done.  One of my friends got engaged so we had a little party in his honor.

I did, however, get a fresh sheet of 1/4 inch plexi and ordered the 1/2 inch stuff that I needed.  I also got the hard drive rack roughed out.

The 1/2 inch acrylic wont get into town until next Thursday (:mad:) so there isn't a whole lot more groundbreaking stuff for me to do until then.  I'll probably start on the lighting tomorrow, as well as the case feet.  I need to start planning the PSU wiring as well.

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 02:45:35 AM »

These guys have a decent price if you are ever interested:
http://store.mp3car.com/category_s/1.htm

I've actually got two or three CD-RW's and a DVD-RW kicking around here somewhere, so I might just have to wedge one in, I haven't decided.

whee project log

i havent used an optical drive in my computer in a long time either :)

Indeed.  I've got one in my file server that I can use if I really need to burn something.  Flash drives++

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »

First up NEW TOY!  My neighbor is an 85 year old man who never works in his shop anymore and is slowly giving away all his tools.  He gave me that little work bench I posted earlier for nothing.  I went over to mow his yard for him (its small and I was doing mine anyway), and he came out and said he had a couple tools that he wants out of his shop.  The drill press just happened to be one of them.  The best part, it was free.  3/4 HP Grizzly.  Almost brand new.

I decided that I wanted to screw this thing together instead of gluing it, mostly because I hate plexi glue, but that's besides the point.  Sorry about the pictures, for whatever reason they didn't come out very sharp at all.  This is the non motherboard tray side of things.

That would be the 1/2 inch acrylic I've been waiting for.  This is the motherboard tray side of the case.  I had to remove the paper to get everything lined up right.  It's now covered in masking tape to keep it scratch free.

The new front view.  Note the lack of clamps holding things together.

Motherboard side with some of the internals shoved back in.  I ran into a little problem with the hard drive rack, I'll detail that tomorrow when I post my solution.

Rear motherboard side corner.  Not really that interesting...

The back end, only thing new is the 3 screws on the left and the two on the right.

The removable side of things.  I didn't measure two of the hole locations right, so I either have to fix the bottom left and top right holes or cut a new side panel.

Front left corner!

The sort of completed feet.  Those aren't the final bolts, and they still need to be lit and the aluminum painted, but that's the general idea.  1/16 inch aluminum, two pieces of 3/16 acrylic, and another piece of aluminum all turned and smoothed on the drill press.

The PSU support.  Note the hole in the middle that I screwed up.  It cracked the acrylic, so when I go to do the polishing I'm going to fill it.  The cloudy section has been cut down about 1/16 of an inch to allow for any fan grills that the PSU might have.  I'm not quite done with the PSU support bracket, but I'll post about that tomorrow.

PSU bracket mounted in the case

Another angle

From the motherboard side of things before I taped up the MB tray.

So 99% of the structural stuff is done.  I just have a few more odds and ends to tie up before I start the lighting.  After lighting comes edge cleanup and hole countersinking (only a few holes need it), then comes paint and *secret step to be named later*.

endscape

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »

Counter sunk the feet.  Next step on these things is lighting, which is a way off.  The top aluminum disc will be painted to match the case, the bottom disc will be rubber coated.

Got the motherboard mounted.  It needs a little work still, but it fits together almost perfectly.  The last picture is just there to show that I didn't drill all the way through to mount the standoffs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.