GideonTech.com Forums

• January 19, 2018, 10:07:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3d intense games crash  (Read 11478 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
3d intense games crash
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »

Ok, here's the Problem:

Any 3d intensive game (Medal of Honor : Airborne, Mass effect, Assassin's Creed, Portal (not so bad in portal)) Crashes after 10 - 30 minutes of play. Duration of play is directly proportional to lvl of graphic (eg: High = 5 minutes before crash, Low = 15-20 min). Orginally I was led to believe that my Antec 430 watt PS was just not up to the job, so I have since installed a new ULTRA LSP 650 SLI compadible power supply. Right after install of this new power supply, I ran MOH:A for about 30 minutes on full blast with no problem, paused the game, and sometime after i came back (an hour or so past) it had locked up.

Typically it either hard freezes with that last sound ticking in the background with a black screen, almost as often it just self-restarts.

What i know it's not:
Overheating : The GFX card has a 120mm or some obscene size fan and heat sink on it, and the heatsink is not even luke warm at the time of crash, nor is the CPU.

Drivers: I have the latest drivers for everything, this was what i tried first, i'm even running SP3

After that i'm kinda stumped, been googling for weeks about this, trying all the little tricks, the only one I have no tried yet is installing another sound card to disable the onboard sound (someone else had that problem).

So. any ideas would be brilliant.

Running:
WinXP SP3
Athlon 64 3800+
MSI RS480 Motherboard
Asus Nvidia 9600GSO Videocard
2 Gigs Kingston ram
SATA Segate 160GB
SATA Lite-On DVD-RW
650 Ultra LSP (SLI)

When i get home i can post a Everest at home, or the msinfo32 if that would help anyone.

Thanks again.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
Re: 3d intense games crash
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »

is the heatsink making good contact with the core on the video card? you say its not even luke warm and all of my newer cards get pretty warm even when not under heavy use. just turn on the compy for 5-10 minutes and they're good and warm.

since you're running the latest drivers, perhaps you should try some old ones... maybe a couple releases up from the oldest you can find. i've experienced between 6-12 months of game crashes before only to find out it was the drivers. i rolled back to some OLD stuff and it worked. also give the omega drivers a shot. those have fixed issues for me before. be sure to make the bios changes to compliment the omega drivers. they had a list of what to enable and disable.

if someone else had a similar issue and fixed it with another sound card, couldn't you just disable the onboard sound and play the game?

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

the 2 things i would think could be the problem, if its not the video card, are ram or motherboard. are any of the heatsinks on the motherboard (like the northbridge) hot (like too hot)? have you memtested the ram? it could be a cpu cooling issue too.

when you say crash, do you mean to the desktop, or the entire computer freezes and needs to be restarted? does the computer just reset itself?

random crashes = voltage (by which i mean PSU or motherboard) or heat problem. the former tends to end up with restarts. the latter tends to hang and cause odd glitches. at least in my experience.

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »

It crashes in the sense that it either hard freezes (computer screen goes black, sound repeats itself until i reset it, it's lasted 5 minutes the one time i thought i'd see if it would fix itself), or it does do a self restart, bluescreens for .0001 seconds and restarts. Whenever i get back into windows, i check the error and send info and it always returns either "error caused by device driver" or "unknown".

*Edit* after i posted this, i stood up to walk away, but then decided to check the northbridge (i think, never been very good at identifying which is which) but it has a sizeable heatsink on it, but it is quite hot, so i think i'm going to rig up some sort of cooling fan to blow directly on it and see what kind of results i get from that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:32:02 PM by DeamonMachine »

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »

If you've already solved your problem, great, but I do have a suggestion...

I have experienced the exact same problem, and it was neither heat nor voltage related.  I have an older sound card (because of the way it handles the audio input).  This sound card's drivers do not like to play nicely with full hardware acceleration of sound.  In fact, what you've described here is generally what happens in newer games which rely heavily on directX.  Or in older games, the video remains intact while the sound goes bananas. 

Basically, I'm suggesting a long-shot.  This likely isn't your problem.  Just throwing it out there.  Anyway, to test it out, run dxdiag from the run line.  Go to the sound tab and roll back hardward acceleration.  See if it helps.  If you're using a newer sound card it probably won't matter.

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:12:36 PM »

No, unfortunately i have not solved it yet. Messing with the sound maybe helped it some, i can't really tell.  I did put a bigger heat-sink on the northbridge, but it hasn't really helped much, although it is keeping it cooler which i guess is good for the long run.

I even went into the bios and disabled the sound, to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

PMV

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »

Im thinking damaged card...try this:

http://majorgeeks.com/Video_Memory_Stress_Test__d5896.html

should tell you if there is video memory issues.
"I nine an eleven-eloin with my five'k"

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

fortunately and unfortunately no errors.  I did roll back to sp2 from SP3, but that didn't seem to help either.  Tried old drivers, new drivers.. no success.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »

Tried old drivers, new drivers.. no success.
omega driver + bios settings? (just double checking)
memtest86 or other ram tests?

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »

If you're getting real desperate, try reformatting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.