GideonTech.com Forums

• April 19, 2018, 12:25:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with my 2x XFX 8600 GTS XXX video cards  (Read 5513 times)

OmegaAvenger

• GT Fanatic
Problem with my 2x XFX 8600 GTS XXX video cards
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

Hi, I recently had what appears to be a failure of my pair og 8600 GTS video cards.
I was orginally running a single 8600 but when my friend (who had the exact same card) upgraded to an 8800, he sold me his for $50 so i just put it in SLI. This setup ran fine for about a month.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago today, I turned on my PC one night to let a friend play some games on it. It posted fine, started loading windows, but then my monitor said no signal and
my speakers did the usual windows vista boot sound. My HDD was blinking as much as it usually does, so I know it was booting.

I reset it, hoping that it was just a glitch, but it wasn't. So I tried safe mode which worked fine. My friend suggested it might be a virus (we are both computer technicians) so I let him scan for them with AVG 8.0 Free (already installed) and Nod 32 64-bit. Nothing was found.
I suggested we try reinstalling the drivers. So while we were in safe mode, we removed them under the management console. When we booted back into normal mode, the monitor was getting a signal, but of course it was low res due to lack of drivers. So we update to the latest as mine were 1 or 2 versions behind. When we rebooted, same issue again. We repeated the process once more with the last of the 169 drivers from Dec. 2007. That also did not fix it.

At this point I was really frustrated with my computer, and decided that the next day I would reload Windows since I was out of options. I booted into safe mode and deleted the video drivers then booted back into normal mode so I could remove all the data from the C: drive I cared about. Then shut it back down.

Then the next day I boot from my cd and do a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows Vista x64 Ultimate on my C: Drive. I am of course able to boot into windows and I proceed to install all my drivers. I did my main board drivers then rebooted. Still working properly. Then I install the latest Display drivers and reboot. BAM same thing again.

By now of course I am getting pissed. So I try my VGA input with a DVI to VGA adapter instead of straight DVI. No Dice. I try each card in the primary PCI-E slot seperately and remove the other card. Nothing. I try swapping my card to the secondary card and my friends old card to the primary and put the SLI bridge back on. Nothing. At thing point I know something HAS to be wrong with the cards, so I pull out my laptop and request an RMA for both of them from XFX. I shipped the package that night Via FEDEX. They got it Monday.

Heres what they told me:

[BRIAN 7/12/2008 1:57:10 AM] Hi Brandon, we’ve been testing your card and we haven’t been able to find anything wrong with it. It’s been passing all of the tests that we put it through. We’ve tested your card in several systems and we’re confident that the card is fully functional. Do you have any additional information that you can think of so that we are able to recreate the issue here? Also, are there any other tests that you would like us to perform on your card while it’s here? Otherwise, we’ll be sending the card back. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks, Brian.
I've already responded saying I'm confident that it is the cards.
Anyone know what I should do? The double lifetime warranty is why I bought the cards and I have NEVER overclocked them beyond the factory overclock.

Also while they have had my video card in for RMA I put a Radeon HD2400 Pro just so I could use my system and it works 100% fine.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Problem with my 2x XFX 8600 GTS XXX video cards
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »

not sure what could be the problem with the video card, but i can tell you that i havent had good experiences with XFX RMAs before (refused to take my non-working card), though they sounded friendly enough this time.

OmegaAvenger

• GT Fanatic
Re: Problem with my 2x XFX 8600 GTS XXX video cards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »

Indeed, I went with XFX because their warranty was better than BFG tech's.. I own a BFG Tech 6800 OC and they were always nice.
Geuss if i am unable to get these fixed I'll be switching back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.