GideonTech.com Forums

• November 19, 2019, 02:49:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DC Powering something that is AC  (Read 7122 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
DC Powering something that is AC
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »

I recently got a Atari 800 for free, but sadly it is missing the power adapter. Online auction sites that start with a "E" and end with a "Bay" have them for $15 bucks or so + $10 S&H, so I am looking for something cheaper. I have tried my local vintage video game dealers, and none of them have them, one thing that was in common, they all mentioned that a 9V DC power supply should work in replacement of the 9VAC one...

Would that work? One statement was "DC will power AC but not Vice-Versa"

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: DC Powering something that is AC
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »

If the design is just rectifying the AC from DC, then I could see it.

I don't have an 800 handy to look at though (only a 600XL and an 800XL, but I'd have to find them) and it looks like the later models were just DC.

The 800's sort of a novelty, as it dates from their attempts to be serious about desktop computing-- expandable memory, and two cartridge slots.  I think one was the first computer I ever saw (but didn't use)-- a friend's older sister had one.

Personally, I liked the XL series better... the hardware was very attractively designed IMO.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: DC Powering something that is AC
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:42:24 AM »

Well, from what I can tell inside the computer, on the psu board, there are 12v 5v and ground power connections going to the computer board, so it looks like it goes

120vac transformed to 9vac inside the external power brick which is then transformed into 12v 5v and possibly other DC voltages inside the system. I was also thinking about simply applying 12v and 5v DC to the pins labeled as such, but I am not sure how it would affect the operation of the system. I am just looking for the cheapest method to get the system working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.