GideonTech.com Forums

• June 23, 2017, 08:47:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newegg will begin charging NY'ers tax [UPDATED and CHANGED! 8/21/2008]  (Read 22491 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: Newegg will begin charging NY'ers tax
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »

The odd thing is that I thought a lot of 'sales' taxes were technically 'transaction privilege' taxes, nominally levied on the retailer.  In theory, they could eat the tax, but generally, they pass it on to the customer.

One would expect that from an implementation standpoint, putting the onus on the retailer makes more sense-- there are fewer retailers to audit, and they keep detailed records for other reasons, making it simpler to sanity-check their claims.

Yeah, the Sales Taxes are levied on the retailer, but with the current crop of "Use Taxes" are the states attempt to regain lost income from web based interstate commerce.

Yes, they could eat the tax, but generally if you are not charging the customers tax (especially the ones that you do need to charge) you are also not going to simply give x% of your income away on top of the business income taxes, ect...

The biggest problem with this taxation issue is determining where exactly the transaction took place, . Should it be the customers computer, or the location that the business is registered or the location of the server that processed the web order (trust me, there is a group of people pushing for that, which would lead to offshore web shopping :lol: )

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:44 AM »

Well since only 1 state is doing this plus the 2 or 3 where they have warehouses couldn't they just make the 50 states balance it out and have a slight increase.  I'm sure 7% tax (or whatever it is) in 3 or 4 states spread across 50 states would be an ever so slight increase that anyone would care or notice.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:41 PM »

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.