GideonTech.com Forums

• September 20, 2017, 07:57:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: online credit cards  (Read 5350 times)

lapantz4less

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Discount Electronics Store
online credit cards
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:42:04 AM »

Hi All,
I read an old post that some were saying it's not safe to use your debit/credit cards online.   I have to say, CC processing online has come a long way.  My e-commerce store for the longest time only accepted Paypal which worked well.  But then I started losing sales because some people hate PP.  So I brought on a third party processing company which gives my customers the option to bypass PP and just user their CC.  The backend software that validates the cc's is amazing.  It's stops fraud in it tracks and ensures a secure transaction.
The only issue I have is the continious attempts from Nigeria and Ghana (the new Nigeria) to beat the system, they never do  :thumbsup:
Chuck LaPenta
Discount Electronics Store
http://www.lapantz4less.com

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: online credit cards
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

The truth of the matter is that its about as safe to use a credit card online as it is to use one in real life, which is to say not very, but more than enough to keep people using them.

In all my years of using credit cards I've only had a number stolen once, via half.com, and they caught it after the person made 3 small charges, so no big deal thankfully.

PS: Never use a debit card online, only use a credit card. I learned that the hard way. Banks can't protect you like credit can.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

Yeah, credit card companies are very interested in preventing theft because they want to make sure that they get paid for every single charge, and if a customer loses their card and someone starts charging stuff up, the customer that had the card stolen does not want to pay for those goods, putting the credit card company in a tough spot because they still have to pay the stores for the goods the thief purchased on the stolen card.

Where as with a bank, they are merely giving you a place to store your money, when someone charges on a stolen card, the money is taken right out of your account, and it really is not their issue. Mainly because nobody robbed the bank (which in turn could cause your funds to vanish), your access to the bank was stolen, and they have no way of knowing if you, or a thief were actually placing those charges. Now if someone hacked into the banks computers and stole account information, and then that information was used illegally, then it would be the banks issue, not yours.

Now if say a 3rd party was hacked and stole your credit / debit card number. In the case of credit card numbers being stolen, it would be the 3rd parties job to inform the customer that their number was stolen, and then in turn the customer should report it to their credit card company. Any fraudulent charges would then be dealt with by the 3rd party and / or the credit card company. Of course you may have to pay some fees, depending on your card holder agreement. You did provide your number to a "trusted" 3rd party, so legally you would could be deemed partially responsible because you willingly provided your information to the 3rd party that was hacked.

In the case of a debit card, it would once again not be the banks direct issue. It would be up to you to come to an agreement with the 3rd party to what extent of the charges (if any) they will cover.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »

The thing that bothers me isn't the clearing itself, it's when shops hold onto information longer than necessary.

I've built custom e-commerce sites.  You can just pass off the credit card details to the clearinghouse, and not need to store anything reusable (except possibly, for convinience of refund, the last four digits of the account number).  You get back a transaction ID, and keep THAT.

You can even choose to set up a charge, and close it later with a command or from a control panel, if you want to do "we won't charge your card until the order's finished".

It amazes me that we have so much trouble with more information stored than necessary leading to compromises.

Of course, I've seen so many sites that just do ecommerce badly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.