GideonTech.com Forums

• August 15, 2018, 02:19:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: old router dead, current router crap, new router recommendations?  (Read 24747 times)

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
Re: old router dead, current router crap, new router recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:46 AM »

Ugh; why didn't I read this thread months ago when I was shopping for a new router?!
I ended up with a ZyXEL X-550. Though I like it better than my Linksys, I still drop connection more than once a day. I'm not sure if there's a collision in my network, or if that's why Road Runner is performing upgrades/repairs in my area. >_<

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

Could be your router, your modem, or your computer. all i know is my previous modem had said issues of dropping connection once a day.

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »

So, I haven't had any troubles at all lately. Except I can't forward ports. Yet UPnP works fine, doesn't make any sense to me.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »

Could be your router, your modem, or your computer. all i know is my previous modem had said issues of dropping connection once a day.

I think it might be my modem. It's a craptastic 5-year-old RCA DCM305 "digital broadband" modem! >_<

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:40 PM »

I think it might be my modem. It's a craptastic 5-year-old RCA DCM305 "digital broadband" modem! >_<
Maybe. Old doesn't mean worse though. One of my old ones that worked fine ended up getting hurt by power outages (it wasn't on a surge protector). The new one they replaced it with was the one that glitched out daily and in addition to that didn't play nice with Vista. I sent it back and annoyed them until they gave me a different kind.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

Maybe. Old doesn't mean worse though. One of my old ones that worked fine ended up getting hurt by power outages (it wasn't on a surge protector). The new one they replaced it with was the one that glitched out daily and in addition to that didn't play nice with Vista. I sent it back and annoyed them until they gave me a different kind.

Good point.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »

Well that's easy to tell.  When it "dies" can you still ping the router?  If so, then it's most likely not the router.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »

Well that's easy to tell.  When it "dies" can you still ping the router?  If so, then it's most likely not the router.

I can still access the router's web interface when the interweb dies. To get all machines back online, I do a DHCP release and then renew and it'll be ok. It's really odd. Before this router, I had to unplug both router and modem, then plug them back in after the powercycle. After that, I get internets back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.