GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 06:04:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD EasyNow: 10 bucks plus shipping  (Read 3488 times)

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
AMD EasyNow: 10 bucks plus shipping
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »

Attention you retro modders:

I am dumping my treasured AMD EasyNow. This is the pinnacle of 1998 technology--the iMac was taking the world by storm, and the x86 platform fired the first return shots in the form of AMD EasyNow. This is quite simply, the ugliest computer ever put on sale. It may qualify for other superlatives as well, but I'll let you be the judge.

Despite being hideous, this was actually a really innovative platform. It was one of the earliest FlexATX boxes (remember that form factor?). It had no legacy ports (yay!) That means WinXP won't run on it! (boo!). In fact it will only run Win98, because the drivers for all the USB and onboard peripherals were only ever released for 98. All peripherals are either onboard or USB.

It has a K6-2 chip, as much RAM as I could make it accept (I forget how much that was), a hard drive that's probably around 4GB. It has integrated network and modem. I did the driver archeology and actually got it running. It was fully functioning when I put it away several years ago. I have not tested it. I have the original power brick (with weird connector that nothing else uses) and matching speakers. They made a matching monitor and keyboard, I didn't get those. There are a couple other innovations like a bios you can't access or edit.  :roll: And the case design is, um, unequaled. I have the blue model but it was sold in several colors including a purple/green combo.  :wtf:

A couple things make this an interesting modder box, and not just a footnote of the history of ugly computing:
It's got a 12V external power brick, so it would have made a perfect car peecee, with the flexATX (that's tiny) form factor.
But the thing that made me buy it was the flip-top CD-ROM drive. The cover pops open and you mount a CD parallel to the front face by popping it on to the spindle. Shutting the lid closes the switch that activates the drive. I was going to cannibalize it for the drive, but I kept it intact instead.

Alright, I'm sure by now you're overwhelmed with the historical significance of the thing, so lets get down to business. If you want it, send me an email and tell me where to send it. I am asking ten bucks plus actual shipping, and I'd prefer not to ship it outside the US.

Drivers appear to be available here:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=183858
Although I have everything running as best I can recall.

The same box was marketed by Fujitsu-Siemens as the Celvin. It uses a Biostar M5SAF mainboard.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:02:02 PM by linear »

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: AMD EasyNow: 10 bucks plus shipping
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »

wow, i had never even heard of that before, and i was around back then :lol:

their website seems to indicate max ram as 128mb

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »

I'd expect you could make something similar by cutting open a laptop CD-ROM drive to expose the mechanism.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »

I'm soooo tempted to go for this cos I need a PC to run my old DOS/Win95 games!!! And it's pretty!  :lol: Best of luck selling it and here's yer bump!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.