GideonTech.com Forums

• June 18, 2018, 03:47:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Firmware troubles.  (Read 5051 times)

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
Custom Firmware troubles.
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »

Ok, so I have a WRT54G V8. It's a piece of sh*t and I'll never buy Linksys again. It constantly resets my internet connection for everyone on the network.

I noticed that you can now install DD-WRT on it. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54Gv8

Has anyone done this yet? I'm having a problem where my router just hangs after doing step 5. I can't ping it or anything after that point.

Also, when I get to step 9, how do I actually TFTP. I'm using a Mac, so I'll be using Terminal instead of CMD, but I know no one here really uses Apple's, so if you could just give me the detailed steps on how to do it in CMD, I could either translate it to Terminal commands or just use a PC if I have to.

Thanks in advance.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Custom Firmware troubles.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »

sadly, i have no idea to help, though i too kicked my linksys to the curb for doing the same thing years ago. i was too impatient to figure it out and bought a different one. so, in place of me being helpful, here is a screencap from the recent southpark episode

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:10:58 AM »

I've found that an unreliable router is an unreliable router no matter what firmware you put on it because it probably has some kind of hardware defect.  Your best bet is to just try another and keep it in such a way that heat is less of a factor.  I currently have active two Netgears, a Buffalo (with DD-WRT), and one D-Link.  I have retired a Linksys and a D-Link because they were flaky like your one.

As for DD-WRT on the Buffalo router it was much harder than I had expect.  Surely an short 8-step process is simple, right?  Wrong!  I had found out that timing was everything and if you didn't get each step timed right then you were left with a bricked router.  It took about an hour or so of trying, but I finally got it to work.

BTW, I'm not that impressed with DD-WRT as everyone else is.  The main reason I wanted it was QoS.  If the QoS works then it barely works, because I cannot tell.  I wanted it mainly to prioritize Skype high (I use it as my home phone), DNS, HTTP relatively high, and file sharing stuff like FTP, BitTorrent, other P2P apps as extremely low.  What happens instead?  BitTorrent runs rampant, HTTP requests time out constantly, but Skype does seem to work the same.  The only thing really gained from DD-WRT was my ability to boost the signal from the router, but it makes the router die faster so is that really a gain?
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

TFTP is just FTP without asking any questions. No username/password, no checking for errors or status.. it simply sends stuff. http://www.macorchard.com/filetransfer/MacTFTPClient.php has a mac tftp client which I'm gonna assume has a gui. There really isn't much you need to know to use it. If you go to your command prompt and hit tftp /?  or -?  it should pop up a little help menu if you just want to see what stuff is.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.