GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:46:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Ekkosangen  (Read 5112 times)

meander

• Senior Modder
Project Ekkosangen
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

Ever have one of those chats with your friends that starts about joking about "what would be cool" and end up going over the details so much you just HAVE to do it? Well, thats what this is all about. In needing more space when i am out and about among the world, (120 gigs on the laptop frequently isnt enough) we started to joke about mobile file servers, and after thinking about how possible it would be, decided to go through with it. Im going to have a mini-ITX setup with a large hard drive attached built into my car with a mag mount wifi antenna outside. That way when i go somewhere and need files i can get the car going, connect my laptop to the machine, and have access to my files. Eventually i will be adding a remote relay board to allow for a temporary override of the car being off to getting the files. So in theory, i could drive somewhere, go inside and realise i need a file, press a button on the keychain, the machine boots up, i connect my laptop to the network, get the file, press the button again, and it shuts off again.

So far the mini-ITX board/CPU, power supply, memory, external 7.8 dbi gain mag mount antenna and wifi card are ordered and on the way. alls thats left is a case. The only cases ive been seeing in my limited searching around so far are over $300, and considering my total cost of parts is under $230 including shipping, thats WAY out of the question. Unless i find something decent for really cheap, i may end up fabricating something somehow. Anywho, this is the log of the project, lots of pics and info to come. Enjoy!
i7 M 640, 8GB DDR3, 500GB SATA2, nVidia 330M
M=C2D E6850, 4GB DDR2, 320GB SATA2, 8800GTS Superclocked

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Project Ekkosangen
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 02:35:42 AM »

i am definitely one of those "i'm doing it because i can" kinds of people, but i have to ask... why not a usb hard drive?

meander

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:51:01 AM »

Ive got an external USB drive here as well, but that lowers the coolness factor, plus it adds something else that needs to be carried around, with the possibility of getting lost (my camera is still in it-could-be-lost limbo). This way, wherever i drive, which is pretty much anywhere i go, the files will be accessible. Another option was to do something along the lines of VPN or an EVDO card for the laptop. however, it always seems as though its the places without internet access, or phone service where its needed.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »

i guess that makes sense. i just have a hard time seeing the car thing due to my location and rare use of car. you better get a strong deep cycle battery, don't want your car pooping out on you cause of the computer.

meander

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »

Ive got one of the M1-ATX power supplies, which should protect against killing the battery and all that hooba joob. usually i dont go anywhere that a jump would be impossible however, just in case.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »

Something you might want to think about for expansion later on. having a PC express slot on the mini-itx board. That way you can add a cellular air card and do conection to your home setup and the files can be moved to a home storage area or backed up.

We have done something like this at work for the EMT's.

Now live in the Twin cities.

meander

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

Oh, looks like i forgot one of the important features, im going to be looking into the ability for it to sync my files when im parken in my driveway too. Cell card is a good idea, the only reason id not put one in for now is im looking to stay away from recurring fees. However, if/when i get paid more its a very viable option.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 12:14:43 PM by meander »

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »

Oh, looks like i forgot one of the important features, im going to be looking into the ability for it to sync my files when im parken in my driveway too. Cell card is a good idea, the only reason id not put one in for now is im looking to stay away from recurring fees. However, if/when i get paid more its a very viable option.

Right now since your only looking for when your parked, WiFi should do the job.
Now live in the Twin cities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.