GideonTech.com Forums

• June 18, 2018, 03:46:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy networking stuff?  (Read 7280 times)

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Where to buy networking stuff?
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

So I am looking to wire at least my 3 bedrooms and my basement with gigabit ethernet and I was wondering where the bast place to buy cable, crimpers, and connectors would be. 

So far I've found this to be my best deal, but the shipping is $20.  As my luck goes, the only $2 shipping coupon I could find expired on April 2nd.  This isn't an urgent need at all, but I would like to do it before my attic gets to be 100+ degrees.  Any other suggestions or should I pay the $85 and get that kit?

PS: I already have the wall panels and a tool for punching them.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: Where to buy networking stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »

That kit is a really good deal. I would go with it, seeing as I spent 85 on my 1000' of Cat5e alone at Lowes, plus my LAN testing tools, crimper, ect... What I got at Lowes was contractor grade equipment (ie more expensive) so if you are just planning on doing personal work with it, it should be just fine.

Generally Lowes is my first stop for bulk cable and small stuff like that. The prices are slightly higher than what they are online, but until we have next second shipping for online orders, I stick with them. I usually shop around online when getting punch panels and larger equipment though.

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:38 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but what about the fire rating?

Does it matter in a residential setting?  I noticed the warning
May not be used to penetrate floors or ceilings, nor used in air handling spaces.

In a commercial environment, plenum rated cable is critical.

In a residence, you won't be running through a drop-ceiling used as an air return, and if you have a fire, you don't have huge bundles of wire running between floors...

I'm just trying to decide if I should spend 3 times the money for plenum rated cable when I finally run wire to the far end of the house...

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »

Well, if you have a house fire and someone dies due to the toxic gases released from burning non plenum cat5e then you may have a issue on your hands, but the chances of either: your cat5e arcing and catching on fire, or you having run enough cable for the toxic fumes to be an issue are slim to none. Granted there is still the chance of non plenum rated cable spreading a fire to the upper stories of your house (plenum rated cable has a fire resistant jacket to decrease the risk of a fire traveling through the vertical fire stops and the air handling space), but it is slim because the fire will find far better fuel sources than a couple runs of cat5e. You would need to have large bundles of cables for it really to be an issue.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »

you can generally buy the stuff in any hardware store. osh, home depot, etc. sold by the foot or in reels. they sell it just like any other kind of cable (phone, electrical). you can buy the mounting hardware and ends too.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:09:14 AM »

Ended up buying that kit I listed in my first post.  All of the stores I checked were barely less for just regular CAT 5e cable, the plenum stuff was a good bit more.  I may make a project thread of this since I haven't seen a project in a while.  I'm probably going to be doing other electrical work too, so people can see a home improvement project on a house built in the 80s.
~ Wierd Al

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »

Ooohh, the 80's soooo old :lol:

But I would like to see a project log, all of the houses I work on with my dad qualify for "This Old House". I am currently renovating the house I am renting from my dad (1905) and working on repairing the fire damage on my G/F's parents house (1920). Networking + Plaster = Pain in the ass :lol:

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

In Raleigh if it isn't brand new it's old.  I'm from PA and used to houses from the 1950s being considered fairly new.  This house is barely older than I am.

Oh, and I'll be painting too.  Fun!  But first I have to sand because the people who owned the house before me obviously didn't know that runs are bad.  Even more fun!
~ Wierd Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.