GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderately powered PWM fan for silence?  (Read 6502 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Moderately powered PWM fan for silence?
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »

I've been experimenting with running a CM GeminiII with a single fan (over the CPU area) to provide better performance than stock, while remaining quiet.

I had originally outfitted the GeminiII with a Silverstone FN121 hacked to fit over the motherboard's 3-pin connector exclusively.  This let the board regulate its speed, but it regulates too well-- half the time, it doesn't start when you cold boot.

In consequence, I replaced it with my other spare 120mm fan-- a Power Logic job rated 83CFM and 2500RPM, which gets very noisy after 1500RPM or so.  Although idle gets you 1000-1100RPM, when the Silverstone was actually working, it was delivering like 600RPM at idle, and was obviously quieter.

So I'm thinking-- if I get a fan with PWM control, even if the mainboard drops the speed to 30%, it will run fine.  I don't mind if it's a little loud at 100%, because if the cooling is ample, it should rarely, if ever, hit 100, and the stock rear fan is still 1600rpm to drown out anything else.

Now, which fan to get?

I was considering both the Scythe Kama PWM and the Arctic Cooling AF12025PWM -- both are similar in specs, except the AC works out to about a dollar more, is about 2% higher CFM rating, and is claimed to have a MTBF ten times higher than the Scythe.  I've been generally satisfied with AC products in the past, but have never used Scythe stuff.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the AF12025PWM-- or some third choice I hadn't considered worth buying?  I'd like to keep under $15 shipped, because this is an utterly wasteful endeavour, when you think about it-- I have a perfectly good stock cooler sitting on my desk (although, anything that doesn't use those ridiculous turn-while-pushing-and-pulling mounting pins is worth points in my book).

bliq

• Elite Modder
Re: Moderately powered PWM fan for silence?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

I've been experimenting with running a CM GeminiII with a single fan (over the CPU area) to provide better performance than stock, while remaining quiet.

I had originally outfitted the GeminiII with a Silverstone FN121 hacked to fit over the motherboard's 3-pin connector exclusively.  This let the board regulate its speed, but it regulates too well-- half the time, it doesn't start when you cold boot.

In consequence, I replaced it with my other spare 120mm fan-- a Power Logic job rated 83CFM and 2500RPM, which gets very noisy after 1500RPM or so.  Although idle gets you 1000-1100RPM, when the Silverstone was actually working, it was delivering like 600RPM at idle, and was obviously quieter.

So I'm thinking-- if I get a fan with PWM control, even if the mainboard drops the speed to 30%, it will run fine.  I don't mind if it's a little loud at 100%, because if the cooling is ample, it should rarely, if ever, hit 100, and the stock rear fan is still 1600rpm to drown out anything else.

Now, which fan to get?

I was considering both the Scythe Kama PWM and the Arctic Cooling AF12025PWM -- both are similar in specs, except the AC works out to about a dollar more, is about 2% higher CFM rating, and is claimed to have a MTBF ten times higher than the Scythe.  I've been generally satisfied with AC products in the past, but have never used Scythe stuff.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the AF12025PWM-- or some third choice I hadn't considered worth buying?  I'd like to keep under $15 shipped, because this is an utterly wasteful endeavour, when you think about it-- I have a perfectly good stock cooler sitting on my desk (although, anything that doesn't use those ridiculous turn-while-pushing-and-pulling mounting pins is worth points in my book).

my question is, if the fan doesn't spin at cold boot, is that bad?  As long as it spins up when the CPU gets hotter, isn't that the ideal quietness situation?  I've got a 100% copper HS on my E6850 and literally unless I'm playing a game or doing something CPU intensive like encoding video to play on my palmpilot, the fan NEVER spins.  Like for example when I'm checking out websites, the fan is motionless.  Makes for a quieter computer. 

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: Moderately powered PWM fan for silence?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »

my question is, if the fan doesn't spin at cold boot, is that bad?  As long as it spins up when the CPU gets hotter, isn't that the ideal quietness situation?  I've got a 100% copper HS on my E6850 and literally unless I'm playing a game or doing something CPU intensive like encoding video to play on my palmpilot, the fan NEVER spins.  Like for example when I'm checking out websites, the fan is motionless.  Makes for a quieter computer. 

Well, it didn't spin up even like 5 minutes into running OCCT, but if I tapped it, it started.  That means "stuck" in my book.

The 4200+ EE at work has a stock cooler and doesn't spin up most of the time, but Cool & Quiet > EIST in terms of results (why can a Core 2 only clock down to 6x333=2000, when the Athlon 64 will clock down to 5x200=1000MHz)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.