GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:48:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting normal cordless phone to computer  (Read 16509 times)

Chris

• Senior Modder
Connecting normal cordless phone to computer
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »

I believe this is my first project on here.  Although it's small, it's extremely useful to me.  Well, to start off, I use Skype as my main phone since I don't have a landline or cell phone.  The Skype Pro package is $60 for a year and it includes unlimited outgoing calls in the US and Canada, incoming phone calls, phone number, caller ID, call waiting, voicemail plus $12.00 in Skype credits for calls outside the US (or ~2 cents a minute in the US after the year is up).  I do have a wired headset but that restricts me to ~10 foot radius around the computer and I have a bluetooth headset with adapter, but after you get so far it starts echoing really bad.  So, I took it upon myself to surf the web to find a better solution and i came across this: http://www.chat-cord.com/  It's a device so that you can connect any ordinary landline phone to your computer and utilize it with Skype or other phone services.  Well the only problem with the chat-cord is that it costs money and my goal was to spend as little or no money.  So after a bit of surfing i found this: http://www.grynx.com/projects/siemens-skype/  After reading the tutorial, I didn't really feel comfortable poking around the inside of the phone to find the mic and speaker connections.  So after even further investigation, I came across this http://www.vital.pri.ee/PSTN/  Definitely seemed like something easy to do and greatest thing is, my dad had all the parts needed.  I don't have any in progress pics, but you can get the jist. 

The schematic I used:

I didn't have any 300Ohm resistors, so I opted for 6 100Ohm resistors.

The innards:

I used a normal phone line box (or whatever you want to call it) since it has nice screw terminals and it could be all contained in one unit.

The finished product:

Now, the best part of this project is the Chat-Cord software.  It allows you to use the phone to dial just like a regular phone.

Here is the setup process:

This is to setup the mic and speaker:

And this is for the actual dialing setup (you have to go through this twice):

Now, when Skype and the Chat-Cord software are running, I can pickup the phone that I use (an old Sony 900MHZ cordless) turn it on, and dial 1+(area code)+number and hit pound to dial.  To disconnect the call I hit *,# (star, pound).  To pickup an incoming call, I turn on the phone and hit 1.  Feel free to comment or question.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:23:40 AM by Chris »
Work

Home

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Connecting normal cordless phone to computer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »

That's really awesome.  I never thought about even trying to find a do-it-yourself method for using Skype.  I bought an Internet Phone Wizard for $30ish on eB@y and it was rather hard to get working right.  You solution looks really easy, I might build one for the other place I live.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Chris

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:10:30 AM »

That's really awesome.  I never thought about even trying to find a do-it-yourself method for using Skype.  I bought an Internet Phone Wizard for $30ish on eB@y and it was rather hard to get working right.  You solution looks really easy, I might build one for the other place I live.

It is pretty easy to setup.  I had a couple quirks at first but they ironed themselves out.  The other day I installed a secondary sound card so that it has it's own audio device (since you can setup Skype to use specific devices for mic, speakers and ringer)so I can still watch movies and etc. without conflict.  The only thing the phone does not do is ring like a regular phone and I don't feel like building that circuit
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:14:57 AM by Chris »
Work

Home

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:27:38 PM »

Very nice. :)

I just wanted to point that the 300 Ohm resistors that are in that schematic are 1% tolerance.
The "common" ones have 10% tolerance.
If you want more info. http://forums.gideontech.com/index.php/topic,31862.msg338288.html#msg338288

Chris

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »

Very nice. :)

I just wanted to point that the 300 Ohm resistors that are in that schematic are 1% tolerance.
The "common" ones have 10% tolerance.
If you want more info. http://forums.gideontech.com/index.php/topic,31862.msg338288.html#msg338288

All the ones I used were 5% tolerance (gold band).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:17:54 PM by Chris »
Work

Home
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.