GideonTech.com Forums

• August 21, 2019, 10:34:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugh... stickers? You've got to be kidding me.  (Read 6175 times)

Kotomi

• Case Mod Weenie
Ugh... stickers? You've got to be kidding me.
« on: March 17, 2008, 07:17:58 PM »

Ok, Well. I'll probably be murdered for mentioning this. But I'm doing a new PC this summer, and after much deliberation on the myriad of custom cases I could do. I decided on focusing on artwork. I've got a very talented artist on board. But they are -only- willing to work with digital media. Meaning, they won't paint the art directly onto the case for me. So I have to come up with another solution for applying it.

The only thing I can think of, is a (in this case, MANY) Vinyl Decals. However, I'm concerned about Scratching, Fading, peeling, etc. I'm paying a hefty price tag for the artwork to be done for this PC. It's very detailed and quite breathtaking. So I don't want it to be roughed up. I'm open for suggestions.

There will be other things done with the case, to make it MATCH the artwork. But that's here nor there, I know how to deal with all that stuff easily.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Re: Ugh... stickers? You've got to be kidding me.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

If you go to any good sign shop, they will print on high quality vinyl with outdoor inks for you. You should have no issue with it getting damaged, just make sure to take your time putting it on, one bubble and you are screwed. I did a case for a client with a vinyl wrap that my friend printed for me at the shop he works at, and it turned out great.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:46:08 PM »

you could always put the art on the inside of a clear case, so the only part that gets damaged is the outer casing, not the artwork. just make sure its still removeable, then you could replace any damaged panels.

every artist has their own media they are familiar with. a digital arist is, of course, not going to be likely to do any other kind of media, as its a very very different process that they might not be familiar with. have you thought of hiring an artist who is a painter if you want a paint job?

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:53:11 AM »

Do it yerself! Part of the whole deal with case mods is the DIY attitude, leaving the finished product being a full representation of your own work. Additionally, your medium is just as much a part of the art as the image; printed graphics are just that, printed.

But if you must, printed vinyls are probably your best bet.

Kotomi

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »

you could always put the art on the inside of a clear case, so the only part that gets damaged is the outer casing, not the artwork. just make sure its still removeable, then you could replace any damaged panels.

every artist has their own media they are familiar with. a digital arist is, of course, not going to be likely to do any other kind of media, as its a very very different process that they might not be familiar with. have you thought of hiring an artist who is a painter if you want a paint job?

I was thinking of that. But, you'd be surprised at the fading and difficulty associated with trying that. Your two options are having the media printed in reverse, but, alot of companies print white first, and then color over that. So it's just a white silloutete at that point. And while another, is for them to print the image, on a non-adhesive sheet, and apply the adhesive myself. Which, I'm afraid I don't have the knowhow to make that work by hand, nor do I have the machines that can apply it properly. (Nor do any of the print shops I know of in my area.)

I'm also quite picky about the artwork mentioned, I contacted a specific artis, because it's a style I appreciate, rather than just finding somone willing to do the work. So, I'd rather find a solution to applying digital media, than getting a different artist (No two artist's styles are the same!)
Do it yerself! Part of the whole deal with case mods is the DIY attitude, leaving the finished product being a full representation of your own work. Additionally, your medium is just as much a part of the art as the image; printed graphics are just that, printed.

I am doing most of this case myself. It's no different then someone having a case sent to be nickel plated, having parts fabricated, etc. If I had a degree in metal working, and the equipment. I could build an aluminum case from scratch too. But I don't have that, or a degree in art and the equipment for producing quality work. :P While I'm confident in my ability to work with my hands. I'm not going to bring the whole project down by making it look like a ten year old drew a sloppy image. Some things need to be outsourced. DIY only goes so far until, you will, eventually need a part or a component, that is easier and more efficient to buy. But! Don't fret. The artwork is PART of the project, and a 'Theme' not the entirety of it.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »

I think urgannagru was talking about putting a clear case over top of your case that has the graphics applied. I.E bolting thin sheets of acrylic to the case, in which only the damaged acrylic would need to be buffed out or replaced, leaving the artwork undamaged. I also think it would give the case a good layered look.

Now I am assuming that when you say they print white first you are talking about them silk screening the artwork right? Because I have never met a wide format printer that has white ink. I'm not saying they don't exist though. If you were to have it screened to the acrylic though, i'm pretty sure they would understand that the printing process would be flipped and not print the base coat first. Even though there are some people that work at sign shops that seem to be morons, 99% of the time the people that run them know far more than you do about what needs to be done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.