GideonTech.com Forums

• March 29, 2017, 01:56:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underclocking?  (Read 5169 times)

Big Mountain

• Case Mod Weenie
Underclocking?
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »

Can anyone explain to me what use underclocking has?

Someone told me about underclocking the other day and I had no idea such a thing existed. Does it actually have a use?

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
Re: Underclocking?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »

Unless you can lower the voltage.. I see no purpose, other than acting like a damn fool.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »

Reduced heat, longer battery life.

The EEEPC, for example, is underclocked to like 660MHz on a CPU rated 900.

Also, if your PSU is marginal, it can sometimes help.  My old Athlon 2000+ used to only run stable at 833MHz (66MHz FSB!) with a finicky mainboard and POS power supply.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »

I underclock the server that I keep in my closet.  Why?  A lower clock alone consumes less power and produces less heat, but this also allows me to lower the voltage which pushes power consumption and heat production even lower.  This of course wouldn't be a smart move if I heavily taxed the server, but I really don't.

If you are wondering what I am running, it was my former gaming PC parts (Abit AN7, Athlon XP Mobile 2500+, 2GB DDR400 RAM), my old server drives for the OS (2 160GB IDE drives in RAID 1), and new drives for storage (4 500GB SATA drives in RAID 5).  The CPU is supposed to run at 14.0 x 133MHz but I run it at  7.0 x 200MHz.  I only underclocked it 487MHz, but the faster FSB helps more than the higher multiplier so I really didn't lose much and I was able to drop the voltage 0.23V.  Does 0.23V sound insignificant?  Stock is 1.45V, so effectively I dropped it about 16%. 

I didn't even see how low I could set the voltage and still maintain a stable PC because I was in a rush so I'm sure it could go lower, but hopefully you can see why someone might do it and a situation in which it is practical.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.