GideonTech.com Forums

• August 17, 2018, 04:30:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Band wireless router (a/g)  (Read 8220 times)

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
Dual Band wireless router (a/g)
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »

I need a new router as my oldass d-link is ready to die, I want an 802.11a router as I have 2 laptops with 'a' cards in them and one that has a 'g' radio. Is this such a difficult request? The only ones that ive seen are discontinued or $200 uber routers (d-link gamerlounge). Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? It has to be stable as it may be serving >5 computers with a lot of data.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Dual Band wireless router (a/g)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »

i dont know about the amount of data flow, but you might be having a hard time finding one because many of them are tri-band or quad-band. my netgear at home has a/b/g, it was cheap at the time.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »

there are only 2 bands 2.4GHz (b/g/n) and 5GHz (a). and if im not mistaken there is some talk that 802.11n may make the move to 5GHz in the final revision. whats the model of netgear you have, and how good has it been to you?
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »

i'll have to look it up when i get home, but i know its a/b/g because i had to turn off the a because it was interfering with my wireless security camera system. it is an old one though, maybe they don't make it any more?

looking at the netgear website they do have some dual band a/g routers, though i cant seem to find them in shops (newegg, bestbuy)

it does look like they are unavailable everywhere i check
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 05:09:01 PM by urgannagru »

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

There's always everyone's favorite auction site...

(Though I don't much like what they've done with the new fees)
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »

yeah, i've found a couple of them on the auction site that can't be named here, but thats about it

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »

netgear has one on their site but is isnt available anywhere. the reviews that i found when it was new made it look like a pos, which isnt supprising b/c i have a prosafe vpn and it is the biggest peice of garbage ive ever owned. i even sent it in to be replaced and the new one did the same thing the old one did.

it looks like the only game in town is a linksys a+g for $130 or the dlink gamelounge for $160, stupid ass draft n bs completely ruined everything for everyone.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »

Is there a necessity to keep the A?  There are range drawbacks to a and g is just as fast.  Only benefit to A is that if you're in an area with 10 or more wireless networks or lots of interference on 2.4, it's not susceptible to that (it is susceptible to 5GHz cordless phones though).  I'd say get yourself a $20 g router and pop $15 for g cards for the two laptops with a.

802.11n actually defines operation in both 2.4 and 5GHz.  so the final revision should have both.  This is possible because a component of 802.11n is MIMO, meaning multiple radios.  you could have both 2.4 and 5 radios in one device.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

i actualy gave up on the 802.11a wireless idea, and got a d-link dir-625. it was way too much pain for the limited benefit. Havent installed it yet but from all the reviews it looks like it will work good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.