GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 09:44:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting to build a wooden case  (Read 3420 times)

Eagle6413

• Case Mod Weenie
Wanting to build a wooden case
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

I've built a couple computers, but it has been a few years, and now I want to build a new one.  This time I intend to build my own case too, which I've never done.  I was originally going to build it out of steel and aluminum, but after pricing things out, I think I'm going to go with wood.  Basically, I need to know the best way of mounting the motherboard, and other components.  Any place I can get a template for drilling mounting holes or anything like that?  Any recommended places for getting components such as USB, power switches, leds, ect?  Someone told me the components needed to be connected to metal to be grounded together, but I believe that to be false.  Any other advice?

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Wanting to build a wooden case
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »

Someone told me the components needed to be connected to metal to be grounded together, but I believe that to be false.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Seriously though, whoever told you that is right.  Some other advice for a wood case is that you will need proper airflow through it so that you do not overheat.

As for where to buy stuff, check this thread.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

I've always thought that the grounding of the case came from the cord and PSU.  :undec:

I haven't really seen a nice wooden case -- e.g., it looks like part of furniture instead of just a wooden box. Are you going to have neat routed edges?

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »

Interestingly, both points of view are correct.

All components that need an electrical connection to the ground potential of the DC power supply (black wire) will have that as part of their wiring harness. So a peecee in a wooden box will boot up.

Additionally, there is a deliberate electrical connection between metal chassis parts and the Ground connection of the AC side of the power supply. The purpose of this is safety. If an internal component fails, the metal case will be held at ground potential by means of this connection. It keeps you from getting shocked when you touch the case after some internal failure has occurred.

Everyone's right. Group hug.

Eagle, a long time ago I wrote down a bunch of info on planning a custom case.
http://case-mods.linear1.org/planning-your-acrylic-case/
Just pretend I misspelled wood.

Abyss

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »

I have some pics of a wooden case I've just about 100% finished.  I'll try and post them tonight in a different thread, but let me say that it's quite doable.  My only real suggestion as far as your concerns go is that you might consider using a metal sheet to mount the motherboard to.  The reason is largely because some motherboards in the past actually required ground connections at certain screw holes in order to boot.  I actually used on of these motherboards and only happened across the solution.  At the time I had only screwed in the necessary holes and left the others empty.  Now I screw in all the holes, just to be on the safe side.  It's a lot easier to screw in all the holes to ground than it is to troubleshoot it later.

Eagle6413

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »

Interestingly, both points of view are correct.

All components that need an electrical connection to the ground potential of the DC power supply (black wire) will have that as part of their wiring harness. So a peecee in a wooden box will boot up.

Additionally, there is a deliberate electrical connection between metal chassis parts and the Ground connection of the AC side of the power supply. The purpose of this is safety. If an internal component fails, the metal case will be held at ground potential by means of this connection. It keeps you from getting shocked when you touch the case after some internal failure has occurred.

Everyone's right. Group hug.

Eagle, a long time ago I wrote down a bunch of info on planning a custom case.
http://case-mods.linear1.org/planning-your-acrylic-case/
Just pretend I misspelled wood.

Thanks, this is pretty much what I figured.  I'm an electricians apprentice, and while I deal mostly in solid state and not electronic type stuff, your answer hit pretty much on the nose of what I was expecting.

Right now I figure I'll mount a metal sheet as a 'just in case' type thing, plus I figure it'll be easier to go that route anyways.

Any more suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.