GideonTech.com Forums

• July 11, 2020, 06:16:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P5N32-E Northbridge Overheating...  (Read 14451 times)

arjo_reich

• GT Fanatic
P5N32-E Northbridge Overheating...
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:03:59 AM »

I'm fairly certain the problem is my ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme blocking all relative air-flow over this POS stock heatsink but OMFG... SpeedFan reports my Northbridge running at 99C under minimal load even though all four of my Q6600 cores are between 22-24C.  OUT-FRIGGAN-RAGEOUS!  These are all at stock voltages and speeds, mind you.

I doubt I can upgrade the cooler on it either because of the size and positioning of the Ultra-120 so I'm going to try to hunt down a "positionable fan", think I seen one used on one of the P5N32-E reviews...somewhere, just can't remember where.

At first I thought the sensor had to be misreporting the temp, then I touched the components.  MOSFET and southbridge are both cool to the touch but the northbridge is hotter than hell and causes blister-burns the instant you touch it.  It truly is boiling-water hot...  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

arjo_reich

• GT Fanatic
Re: P5N32-E Northbridge Overheating...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »

I found the fan I was thinking of, don't know if it's going to help though...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »

Do you have 0 case fans?  I'm doubting it with the temp that the CPU is running at.  I think this board may be RMA worthy.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

arjo_reich

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »

Do you have 0 case fans?  I'm doubting it with the temp that the CPU is running at.  I think this board may be RMA worthy.

I have five Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm case fans + 1 additional S-FLEX SFF21F mounted on the Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU cooler...  I don't have an image of the fully installed machine but this is one mid-build so you can see the fan layout.  Two on top, one in the back, one in between the drive cages, one mid-system blowing on the video cards...not to mention the PSU sucks air out the bottom and pushes it out the back (as do the video cards).

All temps reported by speedfan are low but the northbridge is burning hot...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »

Yea, something is not right with your board if it is running that hot.  You have plenty of ventilation.  I now definitely believe this board is RMA worthy.
~ Wierd Al

arjo_reich

• GT Fanatic
Re: P5N32-E Northbridge Overheating (images)...
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:35:44 PM »

I took new pictures during my lunch hour to give everyone a better idea of what the rig looks like with the cpu cooler and all cabling installed... From the limited research I could find on the net, it seems like the design of the board is based on the assumption that the intel stock cpu cooler will have a downward-blowing fan which would create a lot of air-flow that is missing when you upgrade to a tower-styled cpu cooler.

As you can see from the pictures, my options for an aftermarket chipset cooler are going to be really limited because of the positioning of the ultra-120x and the 8800 GTX card make for a really tight fit... :sigh:  I'm going to try directed air-flow over the northbridge stock heatsink and if that doesn't drop the temps significantly I probably will try to RMA the board because there is the distinct possibility that the unit is just running hotter than spec.   who knows, maybe the manufacturing tech didn't apply the thermal compound properly on the chip.  :shrug:

I'm really thinking that the ultra-120x is simply blocking all the air-flow and coupled with the heat off the backside of the 8800 GTX, it's just overwhelmed... would love independent opinions though.  Need to get an IR Thermometer for an independent read too, lol.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »

I guess I'm not independent because I'm the only other thought here so far, but with the setup that you have at least some airflow should run over where the heatsink is at the top of the heatpipe.

I don't think you need an IR thermometer either.  If you cannot touch it, it's really freaking hot.

Something else that isn't explicitly stated: is the problem that it's hot or that the PC shuts off because it's hot?
~ Wierd Al

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »

Is there contact between the HS and the NB? Possibly crappy out of the factory paste job?

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

arjo_reich

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »

Is there contact between the HS and the NB? Possibly crappy out of the factory paste job?

It's a possibility, and something I didn't consider until I was writing my last post - sometimes manufacturing processes screw up but then again, if there was bad contact then the heatsink wouldn't be burning hot to the touch then, would it?  :shrug:

I'm going to order a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II and see if I can't squeeze it in there, there have been reports of it being able to fit in very tight spaces like mine (Turiq's, etc.) but I couldn't find a definitive reference photo of one next to an Ultra-120X in my orientation to seal the deal.  In the mean time, I'm going to try to bolt on a 40x40 mm fan with some nylon screws to the top of that stock heatsink and see if it doesn't dissipate the heat.

As far as stability goes, I've not had any problems yet but the OS has only had about three hours of boot time thus far and haven't really stressed it out in anyway yet.  99C under almost no cpu load @ stock speeds seemed way++ too hot to risk it...although apparently it's not entirely uncommon with this board.  :shrug:

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »

im not too familiar with chipset temperatures, but from my experience they always run quite a bit hotter than anything else in the system (except HDDs). i can't say i've been burned by touching one though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 33 queries.