GideonTech.com Forums

• July 07, 2020, 12:49:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diamond Thermal Compound  (Read 6655 times)

Dax1

• Senior Modder
Diamond Thermal Compound
« on: December 15, 2007, 08:26:20 AM »

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Diamond Thermal Compound
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:11:12 AM »

It seems very possible to lower temps, but I am doubting the temp difference he was showing.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »

someone made a huge deal about the thermal conductivity of diamonds a long time ago >3 years. im supprised it took this long for someone to figure out a way to do it.

the contact b/n the heat sink and the proc is only one part of the puzzle though. lets see them pop off the cap and put the diamond paste b/n the die and the heat spreader. or for added value run the proc through a cnc mill to shave the cap to within .0001" flatness, thats extreme.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »

I seriously doubt the temps he's telling us.  Personally I think Arctic Silver 5 is about the best thermal paste is ever going to get.  Its also worth noting that the OEM pastes are pretty good now too.  Back in the day you could get really good results with after market thermal compound simply because the OEMs were using that waxy stuff that was crap, and heatsinks were pretty rough to begin with.  Now we have good OEM paste, factory lapped heatsinks, and higher wattage CPUs.  I still recomend AS5, but I think of it now more of a optional thing than a required.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »

I seriously doubt the temps he's telling us.  Personally I think Arctic Silver 5 is about the best thermal paste is ever going to get.  Its also worth noting that the OEM pastes are pretty good now too.  Back in the day you could get really good results with after market thermal compound simply because the OEMs were using that waxy stuff that was crap, and heatsinks were pretty rough to begin with.  Now we have good OEM paste, factory lapped heatsinks, and higher wattage CPUs.  I still recomend AS5, but I think of it now more of a optional thing than a required.

AC5 has been the King of Paste for years. I seen some that can get a little bit better temps and without the 7 day cure time.

Now live in the Twin cities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 33 queries.