GideonTech.com Forums

• March 28, 2017, 05:02:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Theater Issues  (Read 14401 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
Home Theater Issues
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »

Wow, it has been a damn long time since I have been here!  :lol:
Either way, I come with an issue, I have finally moved out (to the house next door) and I am hooking my projector up again. Previously I have used length of Cat5e to produce a makeshift svideo cable to run the long distance (at the time 6 feet) to hook up to the projector, but now the distance has doubled, and I would rather not find out how bad a nearly 30 foot ghetto rigged svideo cable would turn out.

I am currently looking (but unable to find) a decently priced box that will take component and svideo inputs (along with a svga passtrough) and output it via svga. If the component inputs could do 720p or 1080p thats great, but they are only required to do 480p (Wii and PS2) mainly because I could hook my future 360 through vga.

If the price gets in the "fortune" range (+$250) i'll just find a slightly less graceful approach to the situation.  Good thing I got a 1000 foot box of cat5! :lol:

bliq

• Elite Modder
Re: Home Theater Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

I don't believe SVGA is a good choice past about 6-8 feet.  I used SVGA on datacenter grade KVMs (like $2k apiece so they aren't junk) and signal degrades after about 6-8 feet.

Have you looked at Sony's LocationFree or a Slingbox?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »

im trying to wrap my head around how this works. house a has the equipment, and then house b has the projector/tv/monitor/whatever?

or is it that house a has the cable/sat tv reciever, and house b has everything else?

my only concern is (since you mentioned gaming systems) that any passthrough device risks screen/controller lag issues

while svga cable used to be a fine choice back in the day, and i know my university runs 50'+ lengths of the stuff all over the place, my personal experience teaches me that its a bad idea due to interference. there are writeups out there of how to get video over that cat5 you mentioned. there are wireless devices out there, but dont trust wireless, as every single kind ive ever had has ended up with some kind of interference.

a quick google shows max cable lengths as follows: hdmi goes up to 50' length or so, dvi only goes about 15-30' depending, 50' for svideo, 300' cat5, and those are all i could find info on with a quick google.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

No, the stuff will be in the same house, but I am running the cables under the floor. (I have all ready ran the cat5 and coax from my parents house though :lol: ) After a bit of discussion with my dad we found a easier spot to mount the projector, thus eliminating some length of the cables. Unless I win the lottery and can afford the cat5e video baulns, I'm going to resort to my old ghetto method of a svideo cable spiced with some cat5e :lol:

Nice thing is though I really only need to run two cables to the projector, but only having to run one would have been nice.

Oh, I have looked at the wireless boxes, and after talking to a few people I know that are or have used them in the past, suffered from lag on games.

Warlok

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »

go see what you can find on http://www.monoprice.com. They have some long ass cables and they are cheap.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »

my advice would be to sit the projector on top of the home theater setup rather than ceiling mount it. much easier than running miles of cable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:37:35 PM by urgannagru »

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »

Setting the projector on the home theater setup is well.... impossible. Well... it is possible but I would have about a 2 inch screen. The wall that the screen is on has my custom built (i.e. christmas gift from my dad) cabinet for my stuff, and the wall that the projector will be mounted on, has a sectional couch (that I just found out is 4 inches too big for the room...) on it. Now that I moved where the projector is going to be mounted the length of the cable is cut down to about 15 feet well within the range of my all ready (ghetto) fabricated (but crystal clear looking) svideo cable
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.