GideonTech.com Forums

• August 24, 2019, 07:28:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible To Fix These Scratches On My CM Stacker?  (Read 21702 times)

robertsmith1

• Case Mod Weenie
Possible To Fix These Scratches On My CM Stacker?
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have acquired some minor scratches on my CM Stacker 810 case and was hoping someone could give me a detailed explanation on how to fix them easily (if possible). I've circled the scratched area in a general picture below, only the silver painted area of the frame is scratched, the brushed aluminum panel is fine. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to this stuff, so suggestions as basic and thorough as possible would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1980/scratch1bt3.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/975/scratch2ca2.jpg

PS.  The scratches look more prominent in real life.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
Re: Possible To Fix These Scratches On My CM Stacker?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »

I would try polishing / buffing it out like you would some minor scraches on a car.
Now live in the Twin cities.

robertsmith1

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 09:50:58 PM »

I'm not sure how to fix scratches on cars either.  What materials do I need to get?

josh009

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:04:50 PM »

Is the case just brushed aluminum, or is it coated with something?
If it's just bare aluminum, DO NOT polish it like a car (typically in a circular motion).
Instead, use a very fine polish, and very gently rub with a soft cloth in the direction of the grain.

if it's got a clearcoat of some kind, you might be able to thin it a little with solvent (mineral spirits or a bit of acetone) and rub it out. just make sure you rub it with something clean - anything you get mixed in with the finish will be permanent.

robertsmith1

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure its NOT brushed aluminum.  Only the side panel is, but the scratches are on the silver painted part of the case.  So I can just get the acetone in my basement and rub it gently with a clean lint free cloth (i.e. the cloth you get to clean your glasses)?

josh009

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »

That should work, just make sure that the solvent you're using actually softens the paint (not all solvents work on all finishes). Also, if the scratch is deep, you might fill in the scratch a little bit with some matching paint before you try to polish it with the solvent.

The best policy is ALWAYS to try this kind of repair on someplace where you won't notice if it doesn't work - like the back or bottom of the piece. Sometimes the inside is finished the same way as the outside, which would be my preference. And remember, choose a solvent carefully - depending on your finish, some solvents dry cloudy = not good.

*Note: my experience with this has not been with computer cases - it's more with acrylics (plexiglass or lexan) and getting a clean look with that is about as tough as painted finishes. I don't know everything about this, and a 2nd opinion is always good.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »

dont forget to protect the electronics before you do any of this. i would hate to see your computer get fried because you wanted to buff out a little scratch.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »

Hopefully this is not to late, but I would avoid acetone AT ALL COSTS!  Acetone will not only "soften" the paint, it can also melt the plastic.  I would try using polishing compound (the stuff you get from automotive paint supply stores) to "blend" the scratches into the rest of the surrounding area.  If that doesn't work, learn to live with the scratches.
Today, the choice is mine.

robertsmith1

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:25:06 PM »

No its not too late ;)

I was thinking of buying that polish stuff first.  However, I am worried about making it look worse.  I could live with the scratches as well... they aren't too noticeable to anyone but me really.  I just figured that if people can totally mod a case from scratch and make it look amazing, it wouldn't be that hard to take out a few scratches lol.  However, its beginning to look like it will be harder than I thought.

josh009

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »

I thought the case was aluminum?
Wonko is 100% correct about acetone and plastic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.