GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:49:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PЯOJEКT: 001 - The first of many  (Read 12527 times)

mod-zoo

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Mod-Zoo MySpace
PЯOJEКT: 001 - The first of many
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »

Hello everyone. My name's Manny and I hail from Haverill, MA - USA. This worklog I'm posting originated on MNPCTECH.com on Aug. 19th, 2007. I started to get really interested in modding to the point that I would actually give it a try, but I've always been a fan. I just never had the time or the space in which to work. Anyways, this is my first attempt at it now that I do. I have a basic knowledge of what's going on, but putting techniques I've "learned" through tutorials into practice is a whole other story. I can't say there were a lot of snags, couple minor, but whatever. It's not perfect, not unflawed, and certainly not UBER, but as far as what some people have said about my first attempt, it's an eyecatcher. :o As simple as it is, I guess you could refer to it as "old school" modding, but it's all new to me and I'm really diggin' it. The only thing I regret, is not doing this sooner. Along the way, I also made a friend in Bill Owen from MNPCTECH.com and he sponsored part of my build with Mnpctech Machined Billet Case Feet and in route, his new model Machined Billet Case Handles. I was going to link the url, but Bill hasn't even posted the set in his store yet. Could I be THAT lucky? Hope so! :D That'll be my last update anyway, so be sure to come check it out. Well, I hope you peeps like what I've done so far. Enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I mulled over ideas to do my 1st true case mod. I haven't written down  any precise plans for it 'cause it's all in my head and you're all invited to come along for my bumpy ride.

Attempt 001

I wanted to keep costs down since I'm learning, so I bought this cheapo case, a Coolmax CV-502 Silver. Oh yeah, me gonna wrex it!

Grabbed my snips and cut the fugly factory blowhole out. U-channel and Modders Mesh do wonders.

Ok, now these look decent, wouldn't you say?

This project is sponsored in part by Bill Owen - Mod God and owner of MNPCTECH.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

001 UPDATE Aug 20th

Well, I finally had a chance to get back to work a little. Not much, but moving along.........

The factory rear VGA vent looked tired so I chopped it out. It'll look just like the blowholes above.

Went around to the front......fugly grills again....:evil:....nice knowin' ya.

A much better presentation even though it's on the inside. I initially thought of doing a dual 80mm Turbine Mod, but now I'm considering a 120. However, my final decision rests on what I'll do to the bezel. I'll be into that task later tonight.

I moved on to do some work on my side panel. Here's a simple flame stencil I made from 1/4" foam board. I had my reservations about whether this pattern would look alright, but now I think it'll look pretty tight.

Yeah, we be 8).

In keeping with the square blowholes in the rear, I decided to do the same for the 80mm on the panel. You can see I've began the cutting for the fan and the VGA vent. Well, I'll end it for now, my son just went down for the night and I have an appointment with the bezel(on to the quiet work). Thanks for stopping by peeps, until next time........:salut:

I burnt some midnight oil............:shock:

I took the bezel apart and after eyeballing it and the case for a few minutes I've decided to go with the 120mm fan for the turbine mod. I think it'll look a whole lot better than two 80's, much cleaner and not so busy.

The only useful stuff: Reset switch/ Power LED/ Power switch and the HDD LED's. I've got an idea brewing in my head for the Power and HDD LED's and I'll replace the power switch with a vandal. I just don't know about the reset yet. I didn't give much thought to the USB ports and jacks. I didn't need to......gone!

mod-zoo

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Mod-Zoo MySpace
Re: PЯOJEКT: 001 - The first of many
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »

001 UPDATE Aug 21st

Well, I went back down to the dungeon..........

....and finished cutting the fan hole and VGA vent on the side panel. Looks good I think.

I'll be filling in the holes with some body filler as soon as I remember to get some.

I just may invest in a cheap drill press too. The hole saw ride was just a little bumpy on my jerry rigged bezel. Notice the Coolmax logo upside down?

I have the zip cover in 'cause I'm gonna do something with it and the drive bay cover, in order to help isolate the area I'll be buttering with lots of body filler.

Steady as she goes.

Quote from: Ric M
Anytime bra, thats what we are here for ....

Right on, I went and got a gallon of the stuff today. And if ANY of you have input, better known as constructive criticism, tell me. I'm a noob at this and am open to suggestion. Anyways, I really didn't have time to work on 001 much today, I just finished preping the right side panel before I bounce to work which is like an hour away. I ran by Hobby Town today and picked up a chrome prop spinner for the 120 fan. Heh, this thing is actually starting to look like something. Well, I gotta split. L8rz all.

001 UPDATE Aug 22nd

I applied the techniques right  from the tutorial.

:headbang:

001 UPDATE Aug, 23rd

I got a lesson in using "Everglass" today and learned some very valuable things.

I. When using this "short hair fiberglass filler", don't make more than a half dollar size puddle and use hardener sparingly, you really don't need much. Just remember that this stuff sets fast or slower depending on the amount of hardener you use. Notice I didn't say slow, it still sets rather quick, 4-6 minutes.

II. I used an industrial mask while applying this and they are INSUFFICIENT! For real, go spend the 20 bucks and save yourself from nausea. I was at the garage door when I began, I was out in the yard when I finished. Mad fumes peeps, get  a quality respirator. Pffft, I'm buying mine tonight.

III. As RicM had suggested to me, "just take it in even coats. thats all i can tell ya ....". Yeah, there's no getting around it guys, it's a work in progress and WILL take some time. If anyone can get it done in one shot(app., sand, done!), lemme know. I'll need that tutorial. Hopefully I'll be sanding down those pieces tomorrow to see where I'm at. I hope I'm closer than I think. :?

Decided to knock out the top of the case.

I got a can of "short hair fiberglass filler" and began the process on the bezel. I want to give the air duct a flat surface before I apply. I'll knock out the panel first thing tomorrow so I'll have the chassis near prepped for paint.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

001 UPDATE Aug, 25th Tragedy! :(

DAMN, damn and DAMN again! Well, I finally got into a couple snags and a few hours wasted in the process. BAH!!!!

You can't see it here, but the first snag was my mother in-law's boyfriend dropping a freegin screwdriver on my panel. Grrrrr...I wanted to kill 'em. I couldn't leave a dent in it, so I put a little everglass on it and fixed it, but in the process I had to wreck the factory paint, so I said, "&%$@ it!" and went straight to bare metal. Upon reflection now though and partly to convince myself that I had to do it, it was probably best that I went to bare metal, the factory paint job really sucked upon close inspection; very splotchy. I've got this thing so smooth now though, the paint job should really come in nicely. The second Snag was getting the flame tips that ran across the VGA vent right. They just wouldn't do it for me, so after a couple hours of "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again", I tried my Dremel and it worked the first time around. :twisted:

I did finally get the bezel squared away though. Like I said before, "It's a work in progress" and it was. it took me a couple of hours to build it up right, but I'll get faster the more I work with the stuff. It came out alright I think. Now I just have to pick up a vandal switch and an airduct to continue.

Yep, two steps forward five steps back, but I'll get the momentum again. Have a good one peeps!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

001 UPDATE Sep, 8th Back :twisted:n track!

Well I got back a couple days ago from vacation down in Florida, my old stompin' ground. The day I got back I primed "001" with three heavy coats of auto primer with just as many wet-sands to get it nice and smooth as well as establishing a good foundation for the paint to come, remember I went to bare metal. No need for primer pics though, I think you peeps know what primer looks like, heh.

Wednesday, I laid down one even base coat of Rust-oleum's "Black Night Metallic Flake" and three heavy. Later I was pretty much spot painting crap I missed. At first I thought I might wet-sand like I did the primer, but then opted not to. However, I did Scotchbrite the whole paintjob and there was absolutely NO degradation in the metal flake. Unlike sanding where it pretty much rips the paint off, Scotchbrite is forgiving enough where it doesn't tear up your paint, but still leaves it smooth to the touch. Anyways, I'm back to continue my quest........HOOYAH!!!!!

So I'm back to the flames. I had to make some adjustments and suffered a couple of line re-do's, but it came out just like I wanted. You'll notice that the pattern isn't staggered like it is on the right panel. I wanted to accomodate the VGA vent and the blowhole for the fan and it worked out nicely.

I'm laying on the Blue Metallic flake later today,(It's 2:25 a.m. atm  :shock: ) but hell I think it looks killer in prep! Bah, what do I know?!(Psssst, tell me foo!)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:01:03 PM by mod-zoo »

mod-zoo

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Mod-Zoo MySpace
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »

001 UPDATE Sep, 10th Better than I thought

So I got home at midnight after a long twelve hour shift in Beantown and to unwind like I always do, I head down to the dungeon to fondle my mod. Tonight was especially good though, because after two days of waiting, the adhesives got to come off. I ran into a bit of a snag by way of the top actually having impressions from the fine-line tape, but that was about it. I'm going to assume that I didn't allow enough time for the paint to dry before I put down the lines. Doesn't make sense though, I let it sit for 24 hours and the damn can said dry after 30 minutes, lol. Anyways, I got it all taken care of.

This isn't the end paint job though. I still have my metallic silver lines to lay down and probably about 3-4 coats of clear-coat, we'll see. I actually just got done Scotchbriting this whole case after like an hour non-stop when I took these pics. I keep doing it by hand and I'll have arms like Greg Puciato :headbang: . Check out the modder's mesh too. All the blowholes and both vents will be meshed, even where the 120's going(I forgot that pic). It's coming together slowly peeps, but it's coming. Ungh!

Top and right panel view. Check out the top there, you'll see some faint silver lines. I had a metallic silver permanent marker(ink) laying around and was curious to see what it looked like. It looked really good until I rubbed Scotchbrite over it. Bah!, time I knew would be wasted, but it was fun to take a peek. I'll be getting a silver Zig "Painty" later today and do it right.

I was going to originally paint the modder's mesh gloss black, but after testing it out against the VGA vent, I think I'm going to keep it plain. Just take a look at the 1st pic again. I think it offsets the metallic blue/black really well and should compliment the silver lines I'm putting down either later today or tomorrow. Hey Bill, after I laquer thinner the mesh, can I just clear coat it or is there something special I have to do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that's it for now everybody, my son's waking up soon and I'm hungry. Cya's later.

001 UPDATE Sep, 11th We will NEVER forget!

First off, my heart goes out to all those families who were directly affected by the tragic turn of events of that day and a firm salute to those that risked and/or lost their lives in the pursuit of saving another. Your selflessness earns you the title of "hero" and I and I'm sure the rest of America, thanks you.

Now on to less important things. Well, it was raining today and I didn't get much done. I began to prep all the modder's mesh for the blowholes and vents. Got all the oil and whatever else off with laquer thinner, washed 'em down with soap and water and then rather than spraying self-etching primer on(bare metal) I wanted to see if the clear-coat enamel I have would work fine without it.......bad idea. All it did was turn it white, blah! So I sanded it down with 220 grit sandpaper and applied the self-etch. When working bare metal, there's no way around it. I'd say it would be best to use it without fail. I'll be spraying them down tomorrow with Plasti-kote metallic silver tomorrow to match my lines. I also got my box of goodies that I ordered from MNPCTECH.com and will begin prepping my bezel for paint over the next few days. Anyways, here's some more pics.

I layed down the lines on my flames and it REALLY brought out the pattern. I likes, but it's not over. I wanted to spray the clear-coat on, but rain informed me otherwise. :x

Right panel.

Top and left panel.

001 UPDATE Sep, 12th Not totally FUBAR :?

Well, I got some stuff done today. I actually had some time to relax a bit and jam on my mod for a few hours. Got my Bezel squared up, painted my mesh and clear-coated the rig. Not looking sweet though, so I definately have some questions for those of you with the "know how", so follow me.

What it was.

And, what it is. The evolution proceeds. :)

My power/reset and HDD/Reset/ Power led's. This was on the fly so no fancy stuff for these. Maybe next time I'll do something better.

Man, if you want your bezel to look tight, be prepared for some work. Bill's tutorial made the task simple for me. Hell, it makes it simple for anybody, but it can be time consuming, especially for an anal retentive bastage like myself. I see a knick or scratch.....I'm on it! I probably everglassed this bad boy 3 times. Seemed everytime I sanded whether by hand or with my mouse, another recess showed up. Lol, I better improve my everglass build-up skills, but hey it looks killer. I just haven't thought of a decent look for it yet. I'm thinking of painting it Metallic black like the case, with small flames surrounding the turbine and some accent lines. I dunno yet though.

Alright, so here's my problem......IT'S GRAINY! :x I put on 2 light coats of clear-coat, waited for a half, then attempted to put a heavier coat on and damnit all, I made it run! So, I remedied the problem by wet-sanding the overspray with 400 grit wet/dry  sandpaper. I actually have to hit a couple other spots that I missed when I get home tomorrow, yay. Anyway, I babied the rig after that mishap and went, light, light, light, expecting it to all meld together and create a smooth surface like a car. HAHAHAHAHAHA!, yeah right. But, I know it can be done. Someone that has the skills, ANYBODY, tell me how to get that smooth autolike sheen with an aerosol, please?! I'm not happy with the finish and need some serious help to get it there. What's the technique? Can I buff it to smooth it out nicely? HELP!

....and this is basically the parts I worked on, completed or beeped up. Good to have the momentum back.

That's all for now peeps. I'll catch yas again tomorrow.

001 UPDATE Sep, 14th Close enough

I had a little time today, I got some work done. I gave the bezel a good 2-3 coats and after 3 hours of drying I began laying down lines for the bezel as you can see on the pic below, but I had a much better idea to hook up the bezel as I began to apply the first line, so I stopped right there. I think it'll look really good. I wont say what it is, I"ll just knock it out and show yas later. On the same note, I finally got a satisfactory clear-coat applied. Not the best, but I can roll with it. Also got the modder's mesh in place. I actually attached them to the case by using J.B.Weld 4 minute epoxy I had laying around. Looks decent I think. Check it out.

I finally got a satisfactory coat down on the rig. I found the best way to spray paint in general is to spray at a 45 degree angle and away from me while the pieces lay horizontal, if you overspray it won't really hurt the piece. Good 'ole gravity seems to just even things out. At least it did for me. Anyways, it's not the best by any stretch of the word, but I can smile about it now. What a pain in the ass this was, but as they say, "Practice makes perfect". I'll be practicing again real soon.

The bezel isn't clear-coated as I have work yet to do on it, but it looks really good. One thing I definately need to get real good at is laying down these lines. When I layed them down, I went a few inches, shook the pen, went a few inches, shook the pen over and over and you can see that if you stare at it long enough. I need to learn to one shot these lines from tip to tip. Stays even (hopefully), consistant,  but most of all it looks PROFESSIONAL. That's where I want to end up with this.

The right panel. I'll be installing the buttons and LED's as soon as I can get the clear-coat down on the bezel, but that'll be a few days as I'm at w :( r k all weekend. Well, I hope I get to see some uninhibited drunk chicks later on.

The modder's mesh really catches the eye, I think. Should do so even more when the blue LED fans get installed. The turbine fan mod should look really sic on this rig and  case feet from MNPCTECH.com is definately  in order.

Laters peeps, I'm off to *yawn*.........Zzzzzzzzz

mod-zoo

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Mod-Zoo MySpace
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »

001 UPDATE Sep, 18th The paintjob's done!

I started prepping the bezel last night. Came up with some little ideas along the way and re-lined sections of the bezel once or twice. It doesn't look that bad, but if I were to say there aren't any flaws, that would be a bold faced lie, lol. My paint jobs are good, but man, my lining skills suck! I used an oil based paint-pen and it works great, but my technique isn't. I'm thinking that on my next mod, I'll get back to basics with that and use a fine paint brush instead. I'm a lot more steady with a brush then I am a bulky pen.

I decided to keep the bezels base color blue metal flake rather than black, so I could keep a flow of blue from the side panel flames; to transpose the color scheme just a bit from the chassis to the bezel.

My lining wasn't too bad, but being the builder, I always spot flaws. You can easily notice that I got a little "wavy" on the bay covers, but some will be popped off when drives are installed.

Upon reflection of what I did around the button and LED holes. I should've just went straight down and not tried to be "artsy". Gah, it annoys me looking at it, but there's no going back now. :shock:

And there it is folks, the paintjob's done. All I'm waiting for now, is my fans, maybe a PSU and definately some case feet which I'll be ordering soon. I might throw some handles on this too, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe Home Depot's got something decent. Well, later peeps and have a good one.

001 UPDATE Sep, 19th Hmmmm......

I took some time out to work on my bezel after a late dinner with my wife and as I was gaining my momentum with it(I had Sonic Temple playing  :headbang: )I got interrupted with some dumb %#$!@ from work, but I got passed that and drove on. Burning the midnight oil yet again.......and lovin' every minute of it. It's kewl to be creative again. Well, let's move on shall we? Just a couple steps anyway.

After putting the buttons and LED's back in, I kind of think I can get away with it. It really doesn't look that bad does it?

Yeah, that looks like it works ok.

And I do like how it kind of sticks out of the side. It makes it seem like there's something going on on the right panel.

I got my fans in today. They're fixed speed clear Logysis 80mm fans with blue LED's. The rears are of coure set for exhaust and the panel fan for intake. I put in some cable tie down thingamajiggys to keep things neat. Anyone know where I can find some small ones?

Note: You should NEVER stick anything into a powered system unit.

Just a couple lil' things I thought I'd toss in. Take it easy all.

mod-zoo

• Case Mod Weenie
    • Mod-Zoo MySpace
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »

Sorry, just got off the horn with my mentor and what a great discussion we had tonite. Ideas, ideas, ideas! Well, back to my log.

001 UPDATE Sep, 24th Finally got this fan!

After waiting for a week and a half, the turbine is in. It looks good and it"s clear like the rest of the fans. Me and uniformity :lol: . I tested it out for vibration, centering and sound output and I can't say that it really bothered me much. It sounded just fine. Up close though, it looks so damn cool.

Mugshot

That's right, in the dark. I don't know what happened with the camera though, it seems to have taken a weird pic.

Well, feet and perhaps some handles a good buffing, and this bugger's done. Almost there. :D

001 UPDATE Sep, 26th The feet are in!

I received my care-package from Bill today and I tore that box to shreds! Had to, my Mnpctech Machined Billet Case Feet were in there and what beauties they are indeed. Unfortunately, I don't have the compounds nor the time atm to properly polish them to that chrome like luster. *sigh* Hopefully on the next case I will though. They're right off the mill, but it doesn't look out of place on this case. Even un-buffed they look awesome. But my case is still missing one ingredient........handles. I really didn't plan on them, but my it looks incomplete to me without them. Bill, thank you very much for the feet and expect my handle order in soon. I need 'em bad! :shock:

[size=24]GET SOME![/size]

.........And this is where I'm at right now while I anxiously await the arrival of my handles. I'll be yanking the case feet soon so I can polish them up real nice, as well as the handles as soon as they get here. When I'm all done with that, I'll post my final entry for this log. :D Have a good one all!

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
    • http://flatvidz.tripod.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:14:23 PM »

Awesome.  :thumbsup:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.