GideonTech.com Forums

• September 18, 2019, 02:05:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ah the modding days of yore!  (Read 12058 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: Ah the modding days of yore!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 05:20:20 PM »

I was in the thrift shop the other day and saw a PC case (probably AT tower from the dimensions of the front), that had been painted metal-flake red.

I suppose it means something when people are dumping modded gear-- that the mod phase was long enough ago that the results are no longer needed.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »

Modding can take alot of time, money, and commitment. Granted, the results are often great, unique, and worth it. Few have the required items to do it though.

Styles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/lampskin
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »

I blame ZioSys.  Not sure why, but I'm sure it's his fault.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 11:48:24 PM »

I wonder if some of our mods, we ended up realising, were huge effort for small gains.

I took apart my system today in hopes of adding more robust northbridge cooling.  Due to space constraints, both of my plans (a Zalman VF700 for sheer absurd overkill, and a little round fanned cooler from a 5600XT) were not doable, so I spent probably an hour knocking down and rebuilding just to reapply the thermal paste (which appeared to have been very little and seperated anyway) on one chip.  Net result:  No better overclock than before (unstable by 10% over stock, almost stable at 8.5% over)

I spent two evenings carefully making those front port openings on my new case; at my present rate of pay, I could have added four hours' salary to what I paid for the case and just got something that was more or less how I wanted it out of the box.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 01:21:51 AM »

I spent two evenings carefully making those front port openings on my new case; at my present rate of pay, I could have added four hours' salary to what I paid for the case and just got something that was more or less how I wanted it out of the box.

Ah, but thats the fun of a hobby. Sure, I could pay someone else to do it. But then what? It's not as satisfying as doing it with your own hands. Granted, there is a point where it becomes such a PITA that you would rather pay someone else to do it. I'm getting pretty close to that point myself lately, with system builders increasing their quality lately.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »

I would have to agree that it's in the sence of acomplishment.  Every now and then I get the "mod bug" and want to work on some of my projects, but then the "lazy" bug kicks in and puts a stop to it.  I'm tired of taking a case and adding/changing things here and there.  I want to do some scratch built stuff, but after pricing materials, I can't afford it at the time.  I do hope to do something in the near future, but with a wife saying "paint that room, fix this door, remodel my kitchen" and stuff like that I have no time or money.  I'm a carpenter by trade, and I often don't feel like bringing my work home with me.  There's still alot of great mods going on that make me want to get back to it, so maybe someday...
Today, the choice is mine.

Abyss

• Senior Modder
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »

Ah, putting a small spark of life in an otherwise dead thread...

Modding... Modding, where has it gone?  There are a lot of reasons that everyone has touched on, so I think I'll just add my few words of wisdom to a discussion I missed by several months. 

Computers used to be ugly.  This was back when I was young, full of ideas, with plenty of spare time because I was still in high school.  I didn't have the money then to buy something cool, so I did what I could to hack together something as cool as I could make it.  The sense of achievement was fun, and satisfying the need to create was even better.

Now we fast forward.  A whole generation of modders has become busier, more money is being made (though not necessarily enough extra to buy new hardware), and fashion is in.  Apple went a long way to making computers look cool.  Mainstream caught on and there was no avoiding it, cases are now made for everyone.  Cool LAN rigs right out of the box, sleek and small HTPC cases, even the timeless fashion of Apple has improved.  There's just not much need to spend hours on an ugly case to make it good enough to blend in with out of the box cases today.

And in the end, I think the half-done weakness is what really killed modding.  It was too hard to dedicate time and money towards a major project for so long.  And major projects is what they all became.  When I started, adding a plexi window was all it took to steal the show at the LAN party.  Adding lights?  Astounding.  These days, when the windows and the lights and all the easy mods (and even some harder ones) come pre-built and professionally finished, it's worse than defeat; there is no point anymore.  To actually mod enough to make people 'wow' again takes an incredible amount of creativity, desire, money, time, etc. etc.  To make something different enough that people don't ask you "where did you buy it" but "how did you make it" has become a massive undertaking that very few can do.  That's why the case mods we've seen in the past 12 months are extraordinary.  There's just no point to mod anything less.

When you're halfway through a mod that's taken several months, and you open up the BestBuy ad and see your unfinished case on sale, you suddenly lose interest in finishing, because what's the point?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

I live in a tiny apartment now and don't have room for a workshop :( otherwise I would still be modding. Why TF can't any company seem to make a good slim HTPC enclosure? I have a few ideas for cases I want to make, but have nowhere to make them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:27:25 PM by urgannagru »

Abyss

• Senior Modder
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

Part of the reason it took me so long to make the wooden case I posted earlier is because I moved twice after I started and now live in an apartment.  The majority of my work was done on the back deck, which is about 4 by 4 in size.  It would certainly be a lot easier if I had the tools or the space when doing something serious.  I have to thank my wife for putting up with the crap everywhere, and my dog for not eating my wooden pieces.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »

Haha, nice.  My work area for my carputer was the balcony off on my bedroom about 3' x 6'.  Had a nice extension cord for the dremel and all.  Glad I didn't need any larger tools for that bezel.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.