GideonTech.com Forums

• September 18, 2019, 09:06:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Japanese style wooden case  (Read 3866 times)

Abyss

• Senior Modder
Black Japanese style wooden case
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

This is a post to display my newly finished (almost) case called Black Japanese.  I'm a large fan of Japanese influences and artwork, so this case is a tribute to that type of style.  I came up with this case design back in March of 07 after looking a case that was somewhat similarly done in 06.  I don't really have the time to hunt down pictures of that previous case for comparison, but some people might remember it.  In any case, there were two major goals in the design of this case.  One is that it would be able to hold a lot of hard drives, because I have a lot that might come in handy, and the frame was to be built without screws or nails or glue.  I suppose another goal was to make it look cool enough to sit in my living room, next to my tv, because part of the function of this case is decoration for the housing of an HTPC and gaming computer.

I think there are only really two or three things left to do, and those things are small, nearly atomic.  (For instance, “build case” wouldn’t be atomic because of all the steps, but “put doors on” mostly could be, mostly)

This is the case and how it would look if the doors were on it, which they aren’t, but they will be tonight.

Pretty much the whole thing, up and down.  The only thing in this picture that has glue on it is the drive bezel, because it had to be to hold all those little pieces together.  Everything else is held together by joints and pegs, i.e., friction and pressure.  The entire frame of the case can be completely dismantled into its parts and rebuilt the way it was, all without screws or nails or glue.  That was a design goal, but it looks cool too.  Also, you might be able to see the power and reset buttons if you look really hard.  They are two black circles in the top left that are flush (or there abouts) with the front of the case so that they blend in.  I was quite happy how that turned out as well.

Close up shot of the pegs that hold down those wooden slats and the joints at the corners.  Those little wooden pegs on the corners are responsible for holding the whole case together, pretty much.  Luckily, nothing moves.  Ever.

Close up of the front corner.  Nothing to say that I haven’t already said.

I’m leaving this picture semi-big because there’s a bit to see.  The wooden boxes on the top and bottom right were made to hold the DVD drive and the hard drives.  The hard drive tower can hold 6 standard 3.5” hard drives, each with 4 screw holes for securing them.  I ran out of screws, but you get the idea.  Also, you can see the fan on the bottom of the case.  It’s cut into the bottom and pulls air up into the case from below.  It has a dust guard on it so that dust won’t be pulled out of the carpet, and there are case feet on the bottom that keep the whole thing up enough for the fan to blow.  It might be too loud for my tastes, in which case I might have to replace it eventually, but for now it works well.  I spent a lot of last night doing wire management, even though it all still looks ugly to me.  I think wires are just ugly.

Here’s the lower left corner.  Each corner of the case is basically the same, so on the bottom of the case there is another one of those small pegs holding the frame together.  This is what it looks like from the other side, with some dust and bits of paper thrown in for effect.

And the last shot of the back of the case.  I had to redo the entire back panel once because I had a measurement off, so I was pretty happy how this one turned out.  I only cut four slots for PCI cards when I really needed to have cut 7, but I think this works for now without any troubles.  There’s a thumbscrew in the lower left corner of the picture that holds on a plate for securing the cards to the back of the case.  One of my biggest challenges was figuring out how to secure the PCI cards when the back panel was completely flat.  That was my solution, and it works well enough.

That’s all for now.  If I had to estimate the time put into this project, I’d have to guess around 175 hours, give or take a day’s worth.  If I had to estimate cost, I’d probably guess around $120 or so, maybe less, but that doesn’t include tools I may have bought for this purpose.  Seeing it turn on for the first time? … *MasterCard commercial*

Booyah.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Black Japanese style wooden case
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »

That's awesome.  I absolutely love the screwless/glueless design.  Truly unique. :thumbsup:

See, there are some people still modding out there...
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »

I'm with blafrisch! Very nice :thumbsup:

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Abyss

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »

Thanks for the compliments.

As you can see in the pictures, now that the case is done (almost), the real work begins: keeping the dust off of it.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »

You can try some anti-static spray, that may stop it from attracting dust.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Peppe316

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.CodeHeadz.net
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »

That is really awesome! It's unique to me since I haven't been looking at casemods for awhile now. Good job Abyss!
I kill threads

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »

Great work!  Now that's a case "mod" :thumbsup:

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

Wow, I didn't think their was anything original left to do in the modding world.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.