GideonTech.com Forums

• March 31, 2020, 11:23:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ah the modding days of yore!  (Read 12533 times)

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
Ah the modding days of yore!
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:05:35 AM »

I stumbled upon this today on gizmodo and was hit by memories of days past when we would be at our work benches tirelessly trying to mod our computers for the sake of turning something standard into something cool. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-mod/xbox-mini-case-mod-is-nothing-shy-of-modding-genius-297866.php

It's a shame the guy stopped working on it. It does beg the question. What the hell happened to us? What killed the modding scene? Does anyone else miss those days or are you glad they're over?

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: Ah the modding days of yore!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »

I stopped because I never had another case to work on.  I'm still using the same case from 3-4 years ago!  Although I don't see myself modding much if i get to build another system.  Maybe just for cooling purposes, which was what modding was mostly for way back then.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Vicarious

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:11:58 AM »

I reckon it got too popular, and with pre-modded cases being sold with neons and windows inbuilt, it's become too common to be cool.  The bandwaggon ruins alot of things.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »

I too miss those days.  I've got a few projects started, but never seem to want to work on them anymore.  maybe someday I'll get them going again, but until then they will just sit and take up room.  It's hard for me to want to mod something and put old hardware in it, and at this point I have no extra $$$ (I just bought a bigger house) to purchase anything new.  Besides, I did my best work when I was hanging out in my shop drinking, and I no longer drink.  Maybe my inspiration and creativity came from beer :lol:.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:30:35 AM by wonko »
Today, the choice is mine.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »

Like X24 I've had the same case for over 3 years now.  Also, I plan on getting rid of my gaming rig all together and just getting a powerful laptop for my next one.

I still enjoy modding other things though in case you didn't catch that I just modded my car dash to fit a 7" screen and a head unit face plate.  In addition the faceplate is remoted with CAT5 network cable so the unit will still function.  I guess I never did take pics of the finished trunk too, maybe if I get around to it today.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

petro62

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:27:28 AM »

I still have a mod sitting in the other room waiting to be finished. I just don't have the time or money right now to finish building another machine.  Hopefully someday I can get back to working on it. I do miss seeing other people modding stuff because it was always neat to see what someone could create.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »

I think over the years we've all kind of 'grown up' into other interests.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Fat_Chops

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »

seeing as how everyone is only able to leave projects half finished i say we should all call a truce and make "half finished" the new "done"
You have awoken a slumbering giant.

SnakeArtworX

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »

I've noticed that something is going wrong with case modding. Most of shops in my city has decreased the modding gear offer. I think that modding could "back in action" if we will organize some shows with competitions, even in our neighbourhood. Just think about it: make an info that local school or other community will organize case-modding competition. Let everyone to bring their cases to show them to others! Maybe nearest computer store sponsor some prizes? Maybe I have huge imagination, but I believe it could work.

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »

Modding got popular and everyone stole the "scene's" hardwork and ideas. Virtually every aspect of all the new hardware's designs can be traced back to stuff we all were doing 5 years ago.

There is a thread going on now about a gaming mouse. If it wasn't for people making their own mousepads from plexi, and redoing the pads on the bottom of the mice... would there ever have been gaming mice put out?

Everything in the world is black and shiny now.. if we never sanded down stuff and repainted it, then spent even more tiny polishing it down... would we all still be rocking store bought beige boxes?

Things come with blue and green LEDs in them now... because we swapped them out ourselves years ago.

Can't blame the world, because alot of the stuff you buy now, is cheaper and put together alot better than how we did it... even if it might have been a clone, or atleast inspired by something someone did in their garage.

Can't hate the player.. hate the game.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.