GideonTech.com Forums

• February 26, 2020, 11:11:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wierd shaped windows  (Read 5628 times)

warriorx1

• Elite Modder
    • http://warriorx.tripod.com/
wierd shaped windows
« on: August 02, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »

i'm going to make a wierd (not round, square, or oval) hole in the side of my case.  it's going to be in the shape of 3 claw marks going down the side.

like this ///  but jagged...

anyone give me some recomendation on how to make this a window? think it will be too hard to cut the plexi in the same shape... maybe use a big piece of plexi on the inside of the case?  how to seal it?
it should be sealed huh?  so the airflow isn't screwed up?

anyone attempt this yet?

[ This Message was edited by: warriorx1 on 2001-08-02 15:36 ]

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »

I don't know if this is what you are asking about, but......

If you're just doing a cutout design, and want a window type effect, just use a piece of clear/colored plexi or lexan, and use a good silicon adhesive to stick it on.

There are other types of "cutout" panel designs that used the same method.  Just make sure that the edges of the cutout are clean, or use some type of trim to cover them up, since they will be quite noticeable.
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

Vortek

• GT Fanatic
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »

I did this type of window design before for a customer.  Your going to laugh when you hear this!
Use a jig saw and cut the three slits, then with a pair of pliers, pull on the shearing that occurs due to the jig saw.  Sonds funny but it works!

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »

you would of used a dremil to de-bur the edges, if you had one right?

warriorx1

• Elite Modder
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »

NMDante, after reading your tip this is what i was thinking...

(i know it's a crude drawing, ha ha) :) ... i haven't used silicon adhesive before, is it strong enough to hold a piece of plexi on like this?  

Vortek, thanks for the tip. i'll try that.  i don't have a jig saw yet (i used a dremil for my last window (square)) but i've been thinking about getting one.

winterstick, yeah i have a multipro dremel. yeah i use it to grind down the burs after a cut.

i'm pretty new to this so thanks all for the tips...

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2001, 11:55:00 PM »

That should work fine.

Silicon adhesion is strong enough to hold the lexan/plexi in place, trust me.  I used some silicon to mount a lexan sheet with 2 120MM fans attached.  It lasted a long time, until I trashed the window and case.  :)

If you don't feel comfortable using adhesive, I've heard people using heavy duty double sided tape, velcro (heavy duty type), and plain glue (don't mount anything on the plexi/lexan if you use just glue).

If this is permanent, use a strong adhesive, but make sure it won't "eat" the lexan/plexi.  That would be bad.  Just read the cautions of the product, and see if it has plastics listed as a "don't use on".

Nice design.  Hope you clean the edges, or you'll have bloody "claw" scratches.   :P
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

warriorx1

• Elite Modder
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »

thanks for the tips!
i got real busy this weekend but i'm going to try your silicon adhesive idea this coming week. (i really didn't want to use screws in it so thanks again for the idea).

bloody claw scratches huh?  mmm sounds cool! ;)

Antacus

• Senior Modder
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »

hrmmm... would black pop rivits be strong nuff? I think they could be made to look nice if you spaced them evenly and all.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »

I t hink the whole Idea was not to have any little holes in the side of the case...

mile_high

• Senior Modder
wierd shaped windows
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »

well if u r worried that the silicon  wont be strong enuff.. get a tube of the construction adhesive... i have a small one here somewhere but i cant think of the name...  it will hold a full sheet of plywood to a ceiling with no screws or nails.. ahh i found it liquid nails its called... you can get it at any hardware store.. i got a small tube called liquid nails for small projects and its clear and dries clear... ya wont have to worry about it coming apart  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.