GideonTech.com Forums

• March 28, 2017, 05:03:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 280zx Restore or Tune?  (Read 8563 times)

nobody

• Senior Modder
280zx Restore or Tune?
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »

After tooling around for a number of years in my 280zx I find myself at a crossroads. I've decided that I'm going to purchase something else so that I can work on my baby. The question remains however if I should restore it to factory condition or tune it out and make it fast.

It's not a twin turbo and currently it's an automatic (although that will change no matter which route I go).

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
Re: 280zx Restore or Tune?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »

I have a dream to one day have a 240z, and I say strive for both! Restore the interior and build up the guts. For the exterior, go for a mostly factory look, and if you want, spice it up a little.

newb_of_2005

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »

I have to say... the Zs rock. 

My Dad has a fully restored 240z and it is swinging man...  It's pretty powerful and just looks mighty slick.

Unfortunately there isn't much value in these cars, especially the latter years (basically 280z).  I'd say go for a nice stock look and tune the crap out of it for some nice light to light acceleration.

If it were a 240z I'd say keep it stock just because of the possibility of value coming into play later on, but I just don't see it happening too soon with the 280s.

Oh, as a side note we also used to have a 240z with a 350 small block dropped in and what I believe was an old ass body kit with a fiber glass whale tail on it... It tore up to say the last.

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Older Datsun/Niss sheet metal sucks.  They are notorious for rusting.  If i had one of these as a project, this is what i would do...

1. Strip entire car
2. Gut the interior
3. Repair and repaint body/chassis
4. toss the old engine and drivetrain
5. slap in a newer engine of choice.  SR20DET's, RB's, 2J's, even a KA...Anything can fit in that bay without too many issues.  A nice boosted SR will be super cheap and totally cake to throw in, not to mention reliable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.