GideonTech.com Forums

• November 21, 2017, 10:50:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: mini clear acrylic case  (Read 35315 times)

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
Re: mini clear acrylic case
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 05:57:54 PM »

I've had luck taking small bits (or even drill shavings) of the material your using, and disolving them in acetone to make a "glue"  You don't want all the acetone to evaporate, and the "melted" acrylic will form a somewhat thick paste.  You don't want it too thick, so my suggestion is to experiment a little to find the right mix.  It doesn't seem to work with lexan type plastics, but acrylic works pretty good.  it doesn't always dry clear, so like I said, experiment with it to see if it will work for you.
Today, the choice is mine.

Glitch

• Senior Modder
  • I'm a sing the doom song now!
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 06:28:36 PM »

I've had luck taking small bits (or even drill shavings) of the material your using, and disolving them in acetone to make a "glue"  You don't want all the acetone to evaporate, and the "melted" acrylic will form a somewhat thick paste.  You don't want it too thick, so my suggestion is to experiment a little to find the right mix.  It doesn't seem to work with lexan type plastics, but acrylic works pretty good.  it doesn't always dry clear, so like I said, experiment with it to see if it will work for you.

I might try that to see if i can get it to work, this glue situation is testing my patience (right about now L brackets or plain old screws are starting to look really good)
Chieftec Dragon (slighty modded)
E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Evga GTX 260 SC @ 650/1150 Mhz
4 Gb G. Skill DDR800 @ 4-4-4-12 2T
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

IT AIN"T OCed IF IT AIN"T A LITTLE UNSTABLE

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »

I made a small acrylic case for my htpc and I used those clear pieces of angle used to protect the corners of wall, and rivited it together.  Given, it's not totally clear, but it still looks pretty good to me.  I've also riveted pieces ditectly together in place of screws.  That looks pretty cool too, but you may need to add a few drops of CA glue to help it all hold together.

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »

you can contact a sign shop they will have acrylic glue. or you can order from tapplastics.com

Glitch

• Senior Modder
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »

you can contact a sign shop they will have acrylic glue. or you can order from tapplastics.com

OMG!, dont mean to sound fanboyish but a visit from his majesty "CCM"  :). Thanx for the input!!!. I'll have to check out the local sign shops and see if i can get some there. As for ordering, I would have to get a large supply to offset the shipping costs (damn those brown suits), wait do they even ship to the carribbean?. i guess i'll check them out also!!!

Once again thanx for the input!!! CCM

P.S CCM rocks :D
E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

Glitch

• Senior Modder
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2007, 08:44:59 PM »

I haven't done anything as yet to the case itself, so i'm mainly focusing on the small details. I just realized the case fans i was planning on using are too short. So i decided to lengthen it, I got rid of the 8" wire wtih a 4 pin pass through and 3pin MB style connector (i guess that was the cheapest option for the manufacturer) and lengthen the wire to about 2 1/2 ' (don't really need it that long but hey why not). First i decided to just cut the original wire about halfway and add the new wire but that wouldn't look neat. So i decided to just remove the original wire and solder on the new one and make a new 3pin Mb connector(a 5min mod or so i thought).After about 1/2 an hour i was finally done! :wtf:. This was pain because the tip of the iron was too big and it would just melt the solder way too fast! making the + and - leads touch :(. But nonetheless got it done  and now i have a 80mm fan with a 2 1/2' cable and a 3 pin mb connector.

Didn't really take pics but i do have a before and after......will post them when i get a chance!

E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

Glitch

• Senior Modder
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »

Sorry i haven't updated this thing in like a month, i guess this is already dead! but i've been ridiculously busy. We just started going to barbados (BGI) and its been really hectic and i've kinda lost track of this build. So i won't update this thread anymore but i'll post pics of the finished case when its done (hopefully i can finish before xmas). Thanx for all the input everyone!!!
E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »

Ah damn, another one bites the dust. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.