GideonTech.com Forums

• July 21, 2019, 03:57:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Movie Screen  (Read 5264 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Powered Movie Screen
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »

Well, quick history, me and the wifey have found a house we like, working on buying it etc..

So, for my non-stop planning, I have a projector and some movie screen we took from an old movie theater before they tore it down. It's about 15 ft wide by 12ft tall. I plan on trimming it down some to fit in the computer room/movie room of our new house, but that's beside the point.

I would like to make a powered movie screen dropper thing, or reel.

I wanted suggestions on some of the problems i've run into.  What would be a good pipe or thing to roll it up on. I was thinking PVC, or maybe a small steel tube, I'd prefer PVC (cheaper), but I'm not sure it will support the weight well at 8 - 10 feet wide.

The other was the method of rolling. I have a window motor out of a BMW 525i that I took apart (The regulator broke, so i got a free motor). It's definately strong enough to roll up the screen, I'm just trying to think of a good gearing method. The motor looks mostly like a big screw, So a gear at a 90 degree angle to it would work nicely, but should I maybe use more than one gear? or one big gear..

And also how would be the best way to wire it. It ran off of 12v in the car (unknown no amperage) So i was thinking of canabalizing a 12v DC adapter. The power hookup to the motor is only 2 pole coil. Just reverse the polarity to go in the other direction.

Sorry for my unintellagable rant, but any suggestions would be great.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
Re: Powered Movie Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:58:13 PM »

For the pipe, I'd suggest galvanized electrical conduit. It's cheaper and lighter weight than the sh*t you'd find in the plumbing section, but should be more than strong enough for what you want. You can find it at any hardware store.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »

+1 to the conduit, black pipe (gas lines) may be a better solution if weight isnt a concern though, cast iron dosent bend.

the window motor probly draws at least 5a at +12v, so a wall wart would probaly be out of the question.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:52:36 AM »

For power, get one of those cheapa$$ computer PSUs. You should be able to get enough amperage out of one of their 12v lines.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »

For power, get one of those cheapa$$ computer PSUs. You should be able to get enough amperage out of one of their 12v lines.

I use old AT power supplies for a lot of things, this sounds like yet another valid purpose.  Last time I needed one I went to a mom n pop repair shop and got 2 for $1 a piece.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »

Copper pipe = nearly as cheap as pvc but much stronger
See also:
Metal Curtain Rod
Cheap metal closet rods (8' can be found at Home Depot for like $5-$10, fairly strong. Light and hollow)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.