GideonTech.com Forums

• April 25, 2017, 07:23:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency: where to get this internal laptop cable?  (Read 20915 times)

pHEnomIC69

• Senior Modder
Emergency: where to get this internal laptop cable?
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:19:27 PM »

Ok so this laptop has died 3 times under warranty and i can't afford anymore downtime (1 month each time i sent it in) so I decided to check things out myself.  The power button, quickplay, and speakers slowly stopped working so i figured it was the power button or some wires and i immediately found the culprit, this wire was creased and tearing down the side.  I short circuited the wire and my laptop turned on so i knew it was the problem.  I am not about to send the laptop in, where can i get another one of these cables at?

On it, it says "AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1"

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: Emergency: where to get this internal laptop cable?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »

I believe those are called flex cables.  I've seen some on the Digikey catalog.  Hopefully they only come in regular sized contact widths and you just need to buy the correct number of "wires".  I haven't looked at the catalog in a while so try the Digikey site.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

whambammaam

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:11:06 PM »

Looks like that cable has part numbers right on it.

Google those numbers.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »

Ok so this laptop has died 3 times under warranty and i can't afford anymore downtime (1 month each time i sent it in) so I decided to check things out myself.  The power button, quickplay, and speakers slowly stopped working so i figured it was the power button or some wires and i immediately found the culprit, this wire was creased and tearing down the side.  I short circuited the wire and my laptop turned on so i knew it was the problem.  I am not about to send the laptop in, where can i get another one of these cables at?

Is it really worth trying to fix this? where did you buy it?  they should be replacing the machine for you.  Raise a stink about this problem with the manufacturer.  Then again, you opening it up may have voided the warranty...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:07:11 PM »

It's a Compaq, right?  I could only find one web site in Buenos Aires that had this part on it.  Call up HP and get a new one.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

Just tear open a PS1 and steal the one from inside it, wtf plays with it anymore anyway? You should be able to find generic ones all over the place. My concern would be actually fixing the problem instead of just giving it another ribbon to eat. Can you reroute it somewhere else, if you had a long enough one, or could you use something thicker maybe? Like slice up a strip of ATA133 cable and use it instead? It would be tougher.

Anyway, good luck.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »

you can try a old optical drive, they use the same looking cable for the heads. I couldnt tell you if the conductor count is right or not but if the new cable is too wide you can cut it down to size.

pHEnomIC69

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:57:14 PM »

Great ideas guys, i could only find the buenos aires vendor but i will try an optical drive tomorrow or something.  Basically it has 12 leads.   

Yes, i technically voided my warranty opening it up but at this time it is my only computer and like the rest of you guys, i am a modder so i shouldnt have to explain myself there.  (as you can see i posted this thread with the laptop on and the thing apart) ;)

I can't accept a month downtime, AGAIN!

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:53:44 AM »

Just replace it with a ribbon cable.  You'll likely have to perform some soldering, but by the looks of things I'm guessing you'll have to anyway.  I don't see in the Jameco catalog that anyone makes a 12 lead one, but you can always just strip off the extra conductors.  1 10' long piece of 16 28AWG ribbon cable (part number 643532) is $4.62 before shipping.  www.jameco.com

Inovator

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:39 AM »

Hey were you able to Find the cables because i am having the same problem with these cables. But i also need another  cable. If you can please help me my email is ILNYBX@MSN.COM 

I need these to types of Cables...
"AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1"
"AWM E220709 20798 80C VW-1"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.