GideonTech.com Forums

• July 07, 2020, 12:36:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is everybody so pissed off at thermoelectrics?  (Read 11927 times)

FayeKane

• Case Mod Weenie
  • Homeless Bumstress and Smartmouth Smartass
    • My Homeless Bumstress Blog
Why is everybody so pissed off at thermoelectrics?
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »

When I sold motherboards a few years ago, I always impressed the customers by letting them touch the cold side of a TEC cooler.  I used one myself then but haven't bought one yet for my new sys because I can't find a TEC/heatsink combo.

Why is that?  Even watercooling won;t take it down to ambient.  Yes, extremely expensive watercooling systems use TEC, but why can't I find just a peltier device on a huge heatsink with a really big fan anymore?

With passive cooling, your CPU is always hotter than the hottest part of your heatsink and that's REALLY hot!

-- faye kane, homeless brain
The recursively enumerated, insufficiently remunerated, psychoactive, hyperactive, hyperbolic, hypergolic, underemployed, overjoyed, masterpiece-makin', masturbatin', screwy chiral, downward-spiral, ass upended, fair-weather-friended, titty-peek girl geek

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
Re: Why is everybody so pissed off at thermoelectrics?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »

Just a guess, but most newer CPUs have much lower power requirements, meaning cooler dies.  So I'd guess we don't need crazy cooling systems anymore. 

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:02:05 PM »

You are permitted to put a heatsink on a TEC by yourself, there is no one stopping you.  The problem with going below ambient is condensation though, so I'd be careful.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

The simple fact that it uses more juice to cool; when a standard HSF or even 100% passive cooling is sufficient.  With a peltier, you are pumping juice in it to cool, but still creating more heat...More power consumption with more heat is a loser in my book, even if it calls for a cooler die - which really isnt needed nowadays...

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »

My air cooling is 99% silent, within 5 degrees of room temperature, and it costs almost nothing.

Thermoelectric requires much electricity, has an expensive initial investment, is likely to cause condensastion, is sometimes not recognized by a motherboard/cpu so tricks are needed to boot...

hardcase

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »

Another key reason is that when the TEC fails, it is an outstanding insulator.  Your CPU will go from cold to destroyed faster than if it had no HSF at all.  With water cooling or a HSF at least you get the benefit of passive cooling from whatever is attached to your CPU.  With the TEC, you have worse than nothing.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »

Another key reason is that when the TEC fails, it is an outstanding insulator.  Your CPU will go from cold to destroyed faster than if it had no HSF at all.  With water cooling or a HSF at least you get the benefit of passive cooling from whatever is attached to your CPU.  With the TEC, you have worse than nothing.

Actually modern CPUs are pretty stupid proof.  If it starts to heat up the PC will shut down.  Do not try this with older CPUs.  I think P4s were the first to have this feature.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:34:49 PM »

Actually modern CPUs are pretty stupid proof.  If it starts to heat up the PC will shut down.  Do not try this with older CPUs.  I think P4s were the first to have this feature.

As I understand it:
PIIIs would crash but not cook themselves.
Athlons would cook themselves.
Athlon XPs required the board to say "Hey, don't cook yourself" and therefore usually also cooked themselves
P4s would throttle back to 100MHz to not cook themselves.

If someone will sacrifiice a replacement S939 4600+ to the cause, I can tell you what an Athlon X2 will do. :D

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 01:25:43 AM »

TECs were always a little out there, and quite frankly their time has come and gone.  The benefits to running a peltier are far outweighed by their enormous drawbacks. First of all, unless you are doing serious overclocking, cooling to below ambient temperatures do absolutely nothing for you. Its not like the old days where you could take a Celeron 300a take it down to 0C and triple its speed.  Modern CPUs are running so close to the edge from the factory there isn't that kind of headroom anymore.  Secondly, anytime you cool something below ambient temperatures you have to worry about condensation and frost.  Water and electronics don't mix, period.  Third, what most people don't realize is that peltiers are not cooling devices.  They move heat, and create a hell of a lot more of it in the process.  A peltier will create as much or probably more heat than the CPU itself, and all of that energy has to go somewhere. If you don't find some way to bleed off that heat (air cooling isn't even a remote option) it will become a tiny little space heater that quickly turns the CPU into a nice decorative keychain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.