GideonTech.com Forums

• August 21, 2019, 11:12:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One keyboard for two PCs  (Read 3443 times)

Aglar

• Elite Modder
One keyboard for two PCs
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »

Actually, it isn't two PCs, it's a PC and an Xbox 360. I play my 360 on one of my computer monitors, so the keyboard is right in front of me already. It'd be nice if I could hit a button and switch between typing on my PC (possible because I have a second monitor that stays on the PC) and typing on the 360.

I know a KVM with USB support could probably do this, but it really seems like overkill for my situation. All I want to do is share one USB device. In theory if I spliced an extra USB connector onto the keyboard's cable and ran it to my 360, then put a DPDT switch on the data lines (5v and ground should be able to go to both plugs at the same time), would that work? Or one switch that can switch four wires instead of two (don't know if there's a name for that, QPQT?)?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 09:48:38 PM by Aglar »

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
Re: One keyboard for two PCs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »

Relays are your friend. And with the 5v line on USB, it probably would be easy to accomplish.

Aglar

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

How exactly would that work? I'm not really familiar with relays.

I figured a switch would be pretty much the same effect as unplugging it from the PC and plugging it into the 360.

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »

wait until they get synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ for the xbox 360. or i'm sure someone out there has developed some sort of linux which can run on it and get synergy for that.
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

hardcase

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »

Aglar

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »

wait until they get synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ for the xbox 360. or i'm sure someone out there has developed some sort of linux which can run on it and get synergy for that.
Homebrew still isn't possible on the 360 (unless you're one of like eight people in the world who didn't patch their kernel a few months ago).

That USB switch looks like it'd do the trick, if I can't make something myself that's probably the way to go, thanks.

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:13:01 PM »

I would say just from the looks of it the program looks like your best bet:

Not trying to hijack the thread here but I thought i'd ask here instead of starting a new thread for it.

Has anyone else here tried that Synergy program? if so how well does it work for you? I have 3 computers in front of me and 3 keyboards and mice (it can be annoying).  I'm sure I'll give it a try tomorrow, I just wanted to see if there was anything I should look out for before I dive head first into it. I would assume which ever screen the mouse is on is the screen the txt types too.

But apparently from the "about" section this works between linux and windows w/o issues (which is what i'm running, 2 win boxes and 1 lin box).

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »

yeah, run a synergy server on any computer (preferably the one with the best mouse/keyboard?) and the clients on all the other machines. server requires a little bit of intuition to set up, as you have to map how your mouse should travel between the screens. if you need any help, start up a new thread and i'll help you out  :)
i had it run on my linux desktop, and when my windows laptop came into wireless range, it would get extended to it.
this doesn't allow exactly seamless desktop features (i.e. you can cut/copy/paste between computers, but you can't drag windows across them) but if you got a bit of cash to spend you could take a look at maxivista http://www.maxivista.com/
LOUD ANGRY NOISES
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.