GideonTech.com Forums

• July 18, 2019, 03:18:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for the perfect 5-9" lcd  (Read 1795 times)

Para Monkey

• GT Fanatic
looking for the perfect 5-9" lcd
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »

I've been absent from the computer modding scene for a while now, especially since last summer when I made the bold purchase of a 28' boat. Since then, it seems as if I have presented myself with the perfect modding platform that operates on the same voltages i'm used to, and has a hell of a lot more room for wire management ;).

What I'm looking to do is of course, integrate a computer into the navigation of this beast. It's a boat too old for the latest gadgets and technology, but is well equipped for a 1984 bayliner.

As soon as the ice melts and I pull it out of storage, my plan is to rebuilt the dash and gauge cluster, while I'm at it I would like to mount an LCD into it for topside gps navigation (the main purpose for the computer was for dockside wifi/internet, and cruising MP3 tunes). What I don't want to do is mount a crude LCD that you can't see anything on, making all of my efforts of the rebuilt pointless.

I'm looking for any advice or any experiences you guys have come across with any specific models of LCD's, size isn't so much of an issue as the resolution is to me. For the price I would like to stay as cheap as possible, but I understand for a quality product there will be some benjamins.

My current output options (will be from a gutted laptop, with the operating system installed to a flash drive) are s-vid, composit & the preferred vga.

I'm open to all suggestions, and would love to hear any additional ideas you guys may have for boat mods!

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: looking for the perfect 5-9" lcd
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »

Go look at www.mp3car.com or www.digitalww.com for good screen options.  Mp3Car.com offers some transflective screens that even though they are much more money are much, much, much easier to read in sunlight.

Right now I'm looking at a http://short-circuit.com/details/monitors/vm84.html but I'm waiting to here back from a guy at Mp3Car.com forums before I pull the trigger.  The two installs that I've seen that used this monitor make it seem like a pretty good option.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.